Branson Tractor Lift Capacity

/ Branson Tractor Lift Capacity #1  
Tractor
Branson 5520
Hi all,

My 5520H is rated at 2700lbs lift capacity I believe.

The other day I hooked up my set of pallet forks (350lb weight) then slide them under a pallet of 45 cinderblocks (35lbs each * 45 = 1575lbs) for a total weight of 1925lbs.

The tractor hydraulics were about maxed out at that weight, and were struggling to roll the pallet back towards the tractor.

Has anyone else tested their lift capacity and seen similar results?

Thanks,
Old Time Mountain Farmer

/ Branson Tractor Lift Capacity #2  
Lift capacity depends heavily on the geometry. In particular, the further out the centre of mass of your load is, the lower the actual capacity. If your cinder blocks were centred 2-3 feet out from the QA face, I'd expect a significant decrease vs the rated capacity.

/ Branson Tractor Lift Capacity #3  
I poked around the BL200 loader manual (I think the 5520 uses that as well as my 4225 does) hoping for a lift capacity by lift height and distance-to-pivot-point chart, but I couldn't find one there. I think that's an oversight; this information should be shared with operators.

As an illustrative example, here's the corresponding chart for my KX040 mini-excavator. Of course, the boom geometry and overall dimensions are different from a tractor loader, but the underlying physics is the same. You can see how the lift capacity gets tremendously reduced as you move the load further out.
KX040 lift.png

/ Branson Tractor Lift Capacity
That makes sense, I was hoping to be able to handle bulk 1 ton feed totes with this tractor, but it looks like that may be questionable now.

/ Branson Tractor Lift Capacity #5  
With the BL20 (2200 lb lift capacity) on my 3725 I have noticed that the curl cylinders are weaker than the lift cylinders. I've lifted some heavy logs with a grapple that the loader could not curl up. I've had to carry them with the grapple pointing down.

Also the load's distance from the forks really does matter. I can lift and curl 275 gallon IBC tote cages full of wet hardwood but if I don't seat the forks all the way and the tote is a few inches further out, it won't curl.

/ Branson Tractor Lift Capacity #6  
That makes sense, I was hoping to be able to handle bulk 1 ton feed totes with this tractor, but it looks like that may be questionable now.
Can't help regarding feed totes, but I find myself able to handle 2000+ lb logs as long as I hold/tip them close in to the loader, and lift only a foot or so off the ground. Ditto on gingerly carrying a nearly full 280 gallon IBC tote of water (a bit more than 2000 lbs). However, I don't try to take down that full IBC tote from its 6' high perch with the tips of my tractor forks. I actually didn't dare do that even with the mini-ex and instead drained it into another IBC tote at ground level first.

/ Branson Tractor Lift Capacity #7  

Branson 5520H Attachments​

BL200 Loader
2701 lbs lift (at pin)
1225 kg

Dimensions
Wheelbase71.1 inches
180 cm
Length127.4 inches
323 cm
Width64.9 inches
164 cm
Weight3836 lbs
1740 kg

I was hoping to be able to handle bulk 1 ton feed totes with this tractor, but that may be questionable.

Few here with a reasonable regard for safety would recommend unloading one ton pallet fork loads using a tractor of less than 5,000 pounds bare tractor weight, even with TPH counterbalance. Too much weight out front. Plus, it does not take much front axle steering pivot to overturn a 3,836 pound bare weight loaded tractor. Even a small indent in the surface can roll a heavily laden compact tractor.

BL200 Loader
FEL weight: 1075 lbs
487 kg

This weight is out front, IN ADDITION TO YOUR PALLET FORKS + PALLET FORK LOAD. (350 + 1,575 + 1,075 = 3,000 pounds total cantilevered front end weight.

Last edited:
   / Branson Tractor Lift Capacity

Branson 5520H Attachments​

BL200 Loader
2701 lbs lift (at pin)
1225 kg

Dimensions
Wheelbase71.1 inches
180 cm
Length127.4 inches
323 cm
Width64.9 inches
164 cm
Weight3836 lbs
1740 kg

I was hoping to be able to handle bulk 1 ton feed totes with this tractor, but that may be questionable.

Few here with a reasonable regard for safety would recommend unloading one ton pallet fork loads using a tractor of less than 5,000 pound bare tractor weight, even with TPH counterbalance. Too much weight out front. Plus, it does not take much front axle steering pivot to overturn a 3,836 pound bare weight loaded tractor. Even a small indent in the surface can roll a heavily laden compact tractor.

BL200 Loader
FEL weight: 1075 lbs
487 kg

This weight is out front, IN ADDITION TO YOUR PALLET FORKS + PALLET FORK LOAD. (350 + 1,575 + 1,075 = 3,000 pounds total cantilevered front end weight.
The front end loader weight makes sense. Wasn't sure if Branson's specs included the FEL weight as part of the 2700 or not.

My tractor weighs upwards of 6k though. The rear tires have beet juice ballast, and I use a set of cast iron disks from 1910 on the rear to counterbalance. Those of us that farm in the Appalachian mountains do have a higher risk tolerance though I imagine. Mowing hay on 30 degree slopes isn't something most would do haha.

/ Branson Tractor Lift Capacity #9  
One of my tractors is a Branson 7845C. Spec for loader BL-450 is 2805 Lbs at the pin. I have a 200 gallon LeeAgra fuel tank (fork lift type), total weight with diesel and pump is around 2000 Lbs. Of course all the weight is forward of the pin. My tractor would barely lift it high enough that I could drive my truck out from underneath it. I felt like it should do better. I built a hydraulic pressure test set. At the front SCV, the relief valve setting was supposed to be 2510 PSI (to achieve advertised spec 2805 at the pin). I measured 2490, 20 PSI low. My gauge is an accurate high quality oil filled unit. So right up front my SCV setting was low from the factory. The working pressure rating for the front loader is 3000 PSI. I increased my SCV relief valve setting from starting pressure 2490 to 2610 PSI. This is 100 PSI above factory setting, but still well below 3000 PSI working pressure rating. I can now easily lift the full fuel tank out of my truck. Its been running like that for the past 4 years, doing a lot of real farm work without any problem. This includes moving and loading 1500 Lb round hay bales at almost full lift height. As a side note, about 20 years ago I had a Ford/New Holland tractor, also around 80 horse power. Back then I tested the relief valve setting and it was actually set to 3000 PSI, same as the working pressure for the system. Kind of makes me think these newer tractors are intentionally set low.

/ Branson Tractor Lift Capacity #10  
Agree with AKY did the same to my 4820 lifts 2000+ to full hight