Bread maker or machine?

/ Bread maker or machine? #1  

Fuddyduddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
john deere
My wife wants a bread machine. I don't know squat about cooking . Anyway looking at reviews, prices, her preference (brand she knows) I think it's down to Oster or Cuisinart.
She wants a small one, and I see 1# to 1.5# ones. Can they bake, say 1/2 pound? Can they make rolls also?
Making too much at a time it will just go bad.
Anyone with experience...thanks a lot.

/ Bread maker or machine? #2  
My wife wants a bread machine. I don't know squat about cooking . Anyway looking at reviews, prices, her preference (brand she knows) I think it's down to Oster or Cuisinart.
She wants a small one, and I see 1# to 1.5# ones. Can they bake, say 1/2 pound? Can they make rolls also?
Making too much at a time it will just go bad.
Anyone with experience...thanks a lot.

Zojirushi, high cost. But highest rated. Has two paddles to knead the bread and is the only machine I am aware of that will knead the bread to perfection.
Kneading the bread was downfall of the 3 other bread machine brands that I have used.

We are very happy with ours, going on 2 years.
Bake one loaf of bread every other day.

For sour dough bread and rolls, we only use the machine to knead the small batches, then cook in oven.

/ Bread maker or machine?
I looked at the Zojirushi and it's highly rated but (50 years...I know my wife ) she's looking for simple and $100-$150 range.
I could buy her a $3K stove, she wouldn't use it...$500 she would.

/ Bread maker or machine? #4  
My wife LOVES hers. She doesn't bake in it(even though you can). She uses it for all sorts of dough mixing.... soft pretzels, bread doughs (all sorts), saves having to 'muscle' it. She is on #3, the first 2 were "breadman" brand --?? Wore them out after about 10 years.
She really likes her current one, a Frigidaire. We got it through Costco on sale at $59. Don't know how long it will last, but better construction than the Breadman ones.
Here is a link to the one we have:

I noticed that you can order one through Home Depot for $88.

Last edited:
   / Bread maker or machine? #5  
I bought a bread machine second hand real cheap off a guy that loved bread so much he developed diabetes. Like deep fryers, they're a little dangerous. Take care

/ Bread maker or machine? #6  
My SO bought one 3 years ago. It collected dust until last week. I've gained 3 pounds this week!

/ Bread maker or machine? #7  
A dutch oven makes awesome bread, just sayin!

/ Bread maker or machine? #8  
Another vote for Zojirushi. My son has one and we gain 3 pounds every time he comes to visit.

/ Bread maker or machine? #9  
My wife bought me a bread machine years ago, it was too much mess to clean it. I make my own honey wheat bread 4 loafs every 2 weeks for my own consumption.

/ Bread maker or machine?
Thanks.
That's why I was hoping to find a small machine. A loaf of bread is 20 oz.(1.25#) and lasts us two weeks. A neighbor recently gave us a loaf of homemade bread which spoiled before we ate half of it since it didn't have all the preservatives like store-bought bread.
I see 1-1.5# small machines, can they make 1/2# loaf?