Breather Cap Question

/ Breather Cap Question #1  

marrt

Platinum Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1845 and 425
I've never been very happy with the quality of the PT hydraulic oil breather cap. I'm concerned this cap could let in too much contamination (particularly water contamination). Anyone know of a better breather cap (the ¼ turn variety)? I know there are some good threaded caps available. However, retrofitting one of those looks to be more trouble than I would like.

/ Breather Cap Question #2  
<font color="green"> I've never been very happy with the quality of the PT hydraulic oil breather cap. I'm concerned this cap could let in too much contamination (particularly water contamination). Anyone know of a better breather cap (the ¼ turn variety)? </font>

As part of the fire damage rebuild of my 1845 I upgraded the cap to a Parker with a 10 micron filter. It doesn't address the water contamination issue but I figured it was a major upgrade over the unfiltered cap PT uses. To mount it I had to machine the old neck off the reservoir cover and drill and tap new bolt holes for the cap mount.

Sedgewood

Attachments

• 336464-P9081115tankbreather.jpg
    336464-P9081115tankbreather.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 132
   / Breather Cap Question
That sounds like a nice modification. PT now uses a filtered cap on their larger machines. I’ll call them Monday and see if the new caps will fit older tractors.

/ Breather Cap Question #4  
Anyone ever clean or disassemble their breather cap to clean it?

If so, any tips?

All the best,

Peter

/ Breather Cap Question #5  
WOW! 19 year old thread revival, yet still pertinent information. (y)

Gongrats! I think that make you the current front runner in the ‘deep search’ contest. ;)

/ Breather Cap Question #6  
I did think about starting a new one, but this seemed on topic.

So....Have you ever cleaned yours? :)

All the best,

Peter

/ Breather Cap Question #8  
12558992-5265-42E3-A8F4-1DF01E265FFD.jpeg

Attachments

• E450868A-C203-436D-946C-033D99EE9786.jpeg
    E450868A-C203-436D-946C-033D99EE9786.jpeg
    342.7 KB · Views: 68
   / Breather Cap Question #9  
I was thinking after fifteen years, perhaps it should get cleaned.

Mine is a plastic cap with a dipstick with some sort of coarse weave 3D plastic strings, like the material that you see around pools or in building entryway to trap/scrub dirt from shoes. (3M Nomad?)
like this stuff;

nomad1500-thumb.jpg

/ Breather Cap Question #10  
I’ll have to look at the underside of the cap and see what’s in there.