Briefly running engine in garage

/ Briefly running engine in garage #22  
I appreciate the replies so far. Primarily I was prompted to discuss this topic after being shocked by these research results from the cdc displaying just how quickly co builds up in an area even with "adequate" ventilation such as open garage doors.

CDC - NIOSH Publications and Products - Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning from Small Gasoline-Powered Engines and Tools (96-118)
5hp engine operating in a roughly 12' x 24' building with 8' walls. NOTE: doors were open, cooling fan and ventilation running.
co01.gif

Sure, its common sense to not idle an engine inside a closed garage but that report is talking about having the doors open! To me the results seem extreme given how common garages are and the millions of people who use them everyday. I guess it goes to show how co is not something to mess around with and indeed blurs the line between common sense and an easily avoidable tragic accident.

I totally agree there is caution and overkill. Obviously people aren't going to start pushing their vehicles in and out of their garages. I was curious to learn what precautionary practical measures professional mechanics take when working on a vehicle. My buddy is an ASE Cert mechanic and next time I talk to him I'm going to ask about the precautions they are trained to take. When they have a vehicle up on a car lift and have to listen to the engine, I can guarantee they don't lower it down and drive it outside to let it idle.

Like I said before I'm just surprised how easily exposed people can be to high levels of co without even realizing it. It would be possible to infer from the CDC research that "common sense" is not enough when it comes to staying safe in these situations.

CDC - Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - Frequently Asked Questions

Contradicting info on the CDC if someone would explain further...

I'll try to further explain what I believe they were trying to convey. Don't run a car/truck/ CO producing equipment in an enclosed garage or building. If necessary to run the engine long enough to remove it from the garage open the garage doors first and remove the vehicle quickly, then allow all contaminated air to be replaced with fresh air by removing the source of CO from the area, and continue to allow fresh air into the garage/space until all contaminated air is replaced by grade A fresh air containing no CO.

Seems like a case of poor quality proofreading. If something seems contradictory, try to access what the meaning is by applying common sense to the problem and acting accordingly. :2cents:

/ Briefly running engine in garage #23  
All good stuff on the deadliness of CO... and I know I shouldn't go here but I have to confess the breathing of CO2, at work in my high school days working at a pizza joint was kinda fun. We used to have to go back in the walkin fridge and punch down the large dough bins. If you massaged and punched them right you could develop a bubble that you would gently rip and inhale. A harmless 'high'? I think it was CO2??? :cool2: I don't know but fond if not stupid memory from the 70's. Jeez... this is the second post tonight I should apologize for.

I promise I will now revert back to more intelligent posts.

/ Briefly running engine in garage #24  
There is no truth to the rumors of false alarms from ordinary household products. If your detector goes off, it means there is very likely CO present and the correct course of action is to evacuate the building and call the Fire Department.

Matt,

Gotta disagree with you on this 100%.

Depending on the type of CO detector

Opto chemical
Biometric
Electrochemical
Semiconductor

Biometric is the only type certified "false alarm" free and are typically expensive and used in hospitals.

Fabric softner sheets, Disinfectant spray, mothballs etc etc can and WILL cause some types of cheaper CO alarms to go off.

I've been on many many calls where the home CO monitor was alarming and there was no CO in the building- verified on 2 meters costing thousands of dollars that are bump tested daily; process where a known amount/concentration of gas is run through the meter to ensure proper operation and alarm limits.

Any way they are a good idea and yes NO amount of CO inhaled is a good amount.

/ Briefly running engine in garage
What about co from a portable 36,000 btu propane heater used in the garage? Its an uninsulated metal building and where the corrugated metal overlays the outer perimeter both on the roof trusses and siding there are significant gaps for air leaks. Does this provide enough ventilation? If I were to add up all the square inches of gaps it would exceed the manufacturers requirements. I just know its more common to crack a window or door but the effort seems like a waste of heat if I already have sufficient ventilation.

/ Briefly running engine in garage #26  
What about co from a portable 36,000 btu propane heater used in the garage? Its an uninsulated metal building and where the corrugated metal overlays the outer perimeter both on the roof trusses and siding there are significant gaps for air leaks. Does this provide enough ventilation? If I were to add up all the square inches of gaps it would exceed the manufacturers requirements. I just know its more common to crack a window or door but the effort seems like a waste of heat if I already have sufficient ventilation.

Really, has nothing gotten through to you in three pages and 25 posts? There are NO safe CO levels inside buildings, cars, trucks, planes. Period. CO does not discriminate, and there are NO safe levels to work in an indoor environment. Case closed- move on.

CM out

/ Briefly running engine in garage #27  
Last winter my wife and I returned home from vacation after having turned the thermostat down while we were gone. We got home about 11 PM and turned the thermostat up, unpacked and went bed. About 3 AM we woke thinking a smoke detector was going off. I got up and checked the smoke detectors, all were normal. I then recalled that I had bought and plugged into a duplex outlet a CO sensor. As it turned out, the CO sensor was in alarm. I unplugged it from the wall and at 3 AM was picking at the battery door to shut it up. Common sense overrode my drowsiness and I stepped outside with the sensor. It went back to normal. I went back into the house with it and it went into alarm. I did this a few times before I called to my wife to get out of the house. She of course thought it was better to roll over and go back to sleep. I eventually got her up and got her along with the dogs to stagger outside (seriously). I held my breath and ran downstairs to the gas furnace to shut it off and flip on the basement exhaust fan. I recall the CO sensor still in my hand was reading lethal levels of CO at the time. As it turned out my heat exchanger had failed and was pumping CO into the house.

Coyote is correct, there is no safe level of CO. I know someone who was overcome by CO and only is alive today because when he passed out he fell against a partially closed exterior door and landed with his head outside. He says he had no idea he was being overcome by the CO until he woke up. CO is not something to fool with.

By the way, I had the furnace replaced and now have THREE CO sensors in the house.

/ Briefly running engine in garage #28  
Really, has nothing gotten through to you in three pages and 25 posts? There are NO safe CO levels inside buildings, cars, trucks, planes. Period. CO does not discriminate, and there are NO safe levels to work in an indoor environment. Case closed- move on.

CM out

It is so dangerous it even fools the pros. That's why you occasionally read of someone who knows better--like a fireman or police chief or doctor--coming out of their house DOA after running a generator in their garage or right outside the door or whatever. Because it's colorless, odorless and tasteless the normal warning signs that protected us through life won't work any more and we are fooled into neglect.

/ Briefly running engine in garage #29  
Do propane open flame heaters generate CO? Maybe a bit, but I don't think an open flame propane heater is a deadly CO generator, if they were, millions of folks who grew up using an open flame (grate style) home heater wouldn't have grown up. That and a propane stove is the only heat source that we had in our house growing up and we all made it thru alive and undamaged.

I think we were talking internal combustion engines that don't completely burn the fuel and put out a lot of CO. There must be something different between a central heating unit with a heat exchanger that generate a lot of CO and a propane/butane stove or open flame or catalytic heater otherwise lots of folks who use them would be dead. I have heard of folks using small heaters in campers being overcome with CO and perhaps that is because of the small space and air tight surfaces that didn't allow for fresh air intake so the flame started to burn without enough oxygen and produced CO rather than CO2.
Why furnaces generate CO and open flames from stoves and grate style heaters don't create a problem, I cant answer.

/ Briefly running engine in garage
From my research if you can believe anything on the internet it appears that propane heaters do not produce co unless incomplete combustion occurs due to a problem, malfunction with the heater or low oxygen levels in the room.