Briggs 18hp Cranking, Doesn't Start

/ Briggs 18hp Cranking, Doesn't Start #1  

hobie

Silver Member
Tractor
Jazee One
I have a Country Clipper Jazee 1 ZTR with a Briggs 18hp engine. It cranks but doesn't start. If I keep the key turned long enough it backfires. Any idea what's wrong? Gas has stabilizer in it + was running fine last fall.

/ Briggs 18hp Cranking, Doesn't Start #2  
First thought is that the engine prolly has an anti-backfire solenoid on the bottom of the carb bowl. Is it working? Disconnect the wire to it and hot wire it to the battery pos. terminal. You should hear it click in and out. If it is not working, you won't get any fuel into the engine.

/ Briggs 18hp Cranking, Doesn't Start #3  
Remove one or both spark plugs, and spray some WD-40 in there, (you can use starting fluid if that's all you have). Reinstall the plugs, and try to start it. If it tries to run, but quits, it's a fuel issue. If it doesn't try to run, it's a spark issue.

Report results here, for further instructions.

Backfire is usually due to a timing issue. That could be from a sheared flywheel key.

/ Briggs 18hp Cranking, Doesn't Start
Thanks guys. I'll try those things. Won't ba back to where it is 'til next week, but I'll let you know what I find out. I sold an old garden tractor last year that wasn't getting spark, and it was the points. Not even sure where they are on this motor.

/ Briggs 18hp Cranking, Doesn't Start #5  
Modern engines have electronic ignition. So, it may not have any points.

/ Briggs 18hp Cranking, Doesn't Start
Thanks guys. It was the fuel filter.

/ Briggs 18hp Cranking, Doesn't Start #7  
Thanks guys. It was the fuel filter.
Fuel filters usually don't fail on their own.

If you didn't already, check the fuel tank, and your gas cans for debris.

Glad it was simple.