Briggs & Stratton # 498260 Carb kit

/ Briggs & Stratton # 498260 Carb kit #1  

3930dave

Tractor
Ford 3930
Nothing new here, if you've used a carb kit before....

If you haven't, and rely on your Briggs Generator for Emergency power, you might want to consider picking a kit up.

I had a stuck float valve on my lightly used Quantum XTE, and picked this kit up recently to service it. There was a surprising amount of varnish in the float bowl, given that I always ran the motor dry before storage. I'm now switching to filling the tank + Stabil + maintenance runs.

1) Check the Briggs site for your specific engine. #498260 fits a lot of Briggs carb engines, but possibly not all.

Briggs and Stratton Model Number

2) You can order the float valve, seat..... separately, at least for my engine, but the cost of the kit is so low, I just went with the whole kit. ($13+change in Canada at Home Hardware, I think the Briggs US price was something like $8.95). You also end up with extra gaskets that you can use for this repair or later.

I'm now going to order the individual parts I just used up, so my kit is stocked back up.

3) Float height is non-adjustable on my XTE, so the repair went pretty smooth. Dis-assemble, clean float bowl and the float, install new float valve, seat, and float pin and new gaskets, re-assemble.

The sheet in the kit shows that the valve seat should be installed in a certain orientation. (There is a concentric groove in one face). The original one was installed upside down at the factory, but the gen used to run OK - perhaps the float level ended up off just a bit. Easy enough to install the seat correctly.

4) If you are not mechanically inclined, or tend to break light assemblies, you might want to have somebody else service the carb. Just wanted to toss a note up here on this; Briggs makes the parts readily available, at an inexpensive price. Now that I've been through this once, I'll keep this kit on hand. I'd hate to have to start looking for these parts at -40C, with the power out.

Murphy being omnipresent.... if you do spend $10 to get this kit ahead of time, your generator carb will probably never act up. Just think of it as cheap insurance. :thumbsup:

The above general comments obviously also apply to any other brand of carb'd engine that you intend to keep running for a while.

Power On.

Rgds, D.

/ Briggs & Stratton # 498260 Carb kit #2  
Yep i have put kits in almost every small engine i have. I keep the old ones for spares incase something in totally un cleanable.