bringing a Ford 445D back to life

/ bringing a Ford 445D back to life #1  

dungy

Tractor
ford 445D
i'm bringing a Ford 445D back to life from sitting for a few years.
started off replacing the starter and hydraulic hoses to the front loader. was able to get the tractor to crank and start but the accessory belt broke off. Loader now lifts up and down but i need to replace a seal on one of the arm hydraulic cylinders. Still have a few things to address before i get to that cylinder. Have a few questions hopefully someone with some experience can help answer or point me in the right direction to start troubleshooting.

1: replacing the fan/waterpump belt. sounds simple enough but do you remove the four bolts at the crank pulley that connect to a union to, what im assuming is the hydraulic pump?

2: Tractor steering is not working. steering wheel spins freely but wheels do not move left or right. is there a way to troubleshoot the powersteering pump?

3: Tractor does not shift into forward/reverse when moving gear select.

thanks in advance

/ bringing a Ford 445D back to life #2  
I'm no expert on these by any means, only someone who's operated a similar Ford before. If your tractor is equipped with the shuttle shift there should be a fuse that feeds power to an electric control for the shift solenoids in the transmission that should be checked. The controller should have power when the key switch is on. So, my thoughts are to find that control for the shift solenoids in the transmission and make sure it has 12 VDC power. If there is power and the solenoids are working when you flip the shuttle back and forth, then the lack of shifting may be related to the same hydraulic problem that is keeping the steering from working. There may be two or three hydraulic pumps on these depending on equipment. IIRC, the loader and backhoes were driven by a dedicated accessory pump that is separate from the steering and transmission. I would recommend finding a service manual for it. Ford did a really good job with service manuals for tractors.

/ bringing a Ford 445D back to life #4  
I was thinking there is a separate hydraulic reservoir and filter for the loader/backhoe pump too? Then the steering pump and the pump in the transmission housing share the common sump, with each one having its own screen/filter too? I could be wrong too. It’s been a good 15 years since I’ve seen a similar Ford model, but I enjoy a good memory test on occasion.

/ bringing a Ford 445D back to life #5  
Power steering pump (gear driven), filter and reservoir are located at the left front of the engine to the rear of the timing gear cover.
Backhoe and loader reservoir, filter and pump (shaft driven from crankshaft) are located in front of the radiator.
Transmission charge pump is driven by the input shaft, the transmission housing serves as the reservoir and the filter is external at the left side of the transmission housing.
If the tractor is equipped with remote hydraulics and/or 3 point hitch the pump is internal to the rear axle center section which also serves as the reservoir. The spin on filter is below the left running board or step. I don't recall if these tractors could be equipped with deluxe remote valves and a two pump system. If equipped, the pump and spin on filter would be gear driven off the rear of the engine camshaft on the left rear of the engine.

/ bringing a Ford 445D back to life
thank you all. i will have to take a closer look at the shuttle shift system. Thanks for pointing out the power steering reservoir. i opened it and lo and behold, the reservoir was empty. I filled it up, and found a break in the steering hoses. so that would be my next step. As for the water pump/accessory belt, i was able to remove the 4 bolts that attach the union but was unable to get the shaft/union that power the hydraulic to move, to slip the belt pass. looks like i'll have to use a link belt for now.

/ bringing a Ford 445D back to life
I was thinking there is a separate hydraulic reservoir and filter for the loader/backhoe pump too? Then the steering pump and the pump in the transmission housing share the common sump, with each one having its own screen/filter too? I could be wrong too. It’s been a good 15 years since I’ve seen a similar Ford model, but I enjoy a good memory test on occasion.
yes there is a separate hydraulic reservoir in the front that runs the front end loader