Broke a bolt that has loctite on it - now what

/ Broke a bolt that has loctite on it - now what #21  
KansasJim said:
Sorry - could I get a translation on that? I just plain old don't know what that is.
"bottomed in the threads" would be tightened into a blind hole with the end of the bolt forced against the bottom.
larry

/ Broke a bolt that has loctite on it - now what #22  
woodlandfarms said:
I snapped the head off a grade 8 bolt (I think it is grade 8, will check tomorrow) that I put loctite on. I know how to easy out it, but how do I deal with red loctite? I remember someone saying hit it with a torch, is this correct?

Thanks for all the advice in advance...

If you put it on, hopefully you still have the bottle, and you know what Loctite you have. Go to the loctite site and they can provide you some info.

I am betting it is something like this, and yes, as it says up top, handtools and heat.

Loctite® 277™ Threadlocker - Product - Henkel

I am a real fan of the weld it out method, and yes, it will break most loctite bonds as well. As has been described here, do a drip, drip drip of weld, then drop a nut over the drip, then weld the drip and the nut together and remove. I usually use MIG process with .023 (small) wire.

Here is a thread that talked about it quite a bit, my picture does not have the nuts on the top, but on the little things in the picture it was not needed.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...d-recessed-hex-head.html?highlight=weld+screw

Good luck.

/ Broke a bolt that has loctite on it - now what #23  
i only read the first page....

some good advice....

without seeing what you are dealing with, i'd say use a washer, weld it on the broken bolt, then weld a nut on that......the heat will help break the loctite loose....

or, try a left handed drill bit....i know grade 8 is hard but if you guy a good one, it may still work......

the candle wax does work good but i'd say the loctite will keep the wax from wicking into the threads.......plus the oil will make it a little harder to weld...

/ Broke a bolt that has loctite on it - now what #24  
SPYDERLK said:
"bottomed in the threads" would be tightened into a blind hole with the end of the bolt forced against the bottom.
larry

Got it. Thanks.

/ Broke a bolt that has loctite on it - now what
So, at the moment it looks like I lucked out in 2 ways. First, the broken bolt is not a grade 8. It is just a 2. Also, it is not one of the bolts that I put loctite on. I will look at my bottle of red in the morning, I did not know there was different grades. It was a twist tube and the red was pasty.

The bolts are on one of my 3 stump jumpers. These are older photo, just before I put on my hockey puck bumpers to prevent the blades from jamming under the jumper (a problem on this particular machine).

The hockey pucks have lasted, and probably under normal use you would get a year or more out of them. In my case.... 5 days but I consider that a success given my terrain.

Attachments

• IMG_4466.JPG
    IMG_4466.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 152
  • PICT0945.JPG
    PICT0945.JPG
    647.8 KB · Views: 186
   / Broke a bolt that has loctite on it - now what #26  
probably the grade of the bolt is the reason you're having this problem now. a grade 8 might have given you better service in this application.

amp