Broke off my hydraulic filter

/ Broke off my hydraulic filter #1  

fatboycowen

Silver Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT235 TLB, Wheel Horse 518xi
Well, today, I broke off my hydraulic filter. Some kind of root popped up while i was driving over it (i think). Ripped the filter off. I noticed it very quickly, when the steering got difficult, and I immediately shut her down. Seems like a lot of fluid poured out.
1003171652.jpg1003171650.jpg

/ Broke off my hydraulic filter #2  
Wow - that may be and expensive fix unless the center portion is removable from the outer housing. On the good side based on the color of your fluid it needed changing anyway.

/ Broke off my hydraulic filter #3  
Ouch! I sure hope there is a "sub assembly" part that is easy to replace. Keep us posted. I am surprised the filter itself did not crush and yield.

/ Broke off my hydraulic filter #4  
Me too! Time to up armour that tractor!

/ Broke off my hydraulic filter
Thanks for those part numbers. Those are the same ones i found.
I just called Bobcat. I've usually found them to be cheaper, but not in this case. They wanted 101 for that filter housing. I ended up ordering from Michigan Iron and Equipment for 57. I was tempted to order from Bobcat, because they are so nice on the phone. Super helpful, when they can be. But, i couldn't swallow almost double the price.

I found the color of the oil very surprising. This hydraulic oil has just over 100 hours on it, and it looks clear on the dipstick. It's the traveler premium stuff. I guess it will be getting replaced now anyway. I got myself a new filter too, for good measure, in case dirt got in. I hope this is an easy swap. It would be easier if the tractor wasn't in the woods. But, at least it isn't far.

I'm going to figure out if i can armor this filter. It's really the only thing that appears to be in danger, and I've always been aware of it. I have the backhoe, which has a big arm that passes beside the filter, and is a little lower, so it sort of protects it. But i must have hit the root just right. Unless i somehow bumped the filter when mounting the backhoe, which i had just done 30 minutes before it failed. However, I backed the tractor in just right the first time, and the install went very smoothly, so i don't think i hit it.
At first glance, it looks like it may be difficult to armor this filter. Anyone done this?

/ Broke off my hydraulic filter #7  
This is on a DK45 but something similar would work.
IMG_20170222_154127.jpgIMG_20170314_120847.jpgIMG_20170410_174405.jpg
I installed this after damaging brake linkage, hyd. pipes and QD's coming apart.

Got her fixed today. Parts came. Michigan Iron and Equipment shipped the same day i ordered, which is awesome.
I should have bought 3 o-rings. In order to remove the part, i had to remove the short hard line that runs to the transmission sump. ALL the oil poured out...
The old o-rings look perfect, so i picked the best one to re-use.
It was a fairly easy job. It took longer to dump new hydraulic fluid into the sump than to replace the part. No leaks. All i needed was a 3/8 ratchet, a 12mm socket, a 19mm socket, short extension, and a 12mm box wrench. And a screwdriver to remove the o-rings.
The old filter did have a big dent on the bottom, where the root popped up and whacked it.
The new Traveler premium hydraulic oil had the same yellowish tint to it that the old stuff did, so that made me feel better about the old fluid. It took over 5 gallons, so it's almost a complete flush.

/ Broke off my hydraulic filter #9  
Its good to know you got it fixed. Did you happen to take any pictures?

I do remember reading something in the Kioti form there is another fill point under the seat (remove seat!!!???) but it is a lot faster.

BTW if your a green fellow, take a bucket of good laundry detergent out (dry kind) and spread all over the spill area. It will help break down the oil. Of course the best way is to dig up the spot and dispose of it.

I tool a look at mine and its 1/1000 chance it hit the 1/2 exposed section. On my tractor there are lines on each side and a control linkage. Its amazing one of them did not get bent in the process.

Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

I didn't get pictures. I intended to, but i was completely covered in hydraulic fluid in moments, and too far away from the house to clean up enough to snap pics.

Thanks for the idea on the laundry detergent. I'll give that a try. I don't know where i'd dispose of the oiled soil, and i don't have a dump trailer yet.

With my backhoe on, the chances of hitting that filter are very small, since the subframe is below, and beside the filter. I looked a bit more for some way of protecting it, but it doesn't look easy. I don't think a belly pan will work with the backhoe.