Broken Mower Belt

/ Broken Mower Belt #1  

tlb13057

Tractor
PT425 (2003)
Mowing this morning and the belt broke. I don't understand why, it is only 10 years old and used 8 months out of the year!

Is this something I have to get from PT? It is a 60" 3-blade finish mower with one (long) belt.

Thanks,
-Tim

/ Broken Mower Belt #2  
Should be able to have parts store cross reference it for you.

/ Broken Mower Belt #3  
there are different quality of belts out there. some may barely last a couple mowings, some may last for a really long time.

different belts can hold up to "higher heat" better, and may not really stretch as the belts heat up.

contact power trac, and see what it costs, and then contact a local tractor repair shop / parts store. for pricing info. have model number of tractor and mower deck handy!

a question may come up of how long belt is. if old belt is just cut in one section. see if you can get a tape measure on it, and measure length.

new belt will most likely be a hard fit. so make sure the "adjusting pulley" is not all rusted up and moves freely. some times i can put belt on all pulleys, and then rotate one pulley and belt. and have belt walk / wrap itself onto the last pulley. some times it takes a good size flat head screw driver. to do a little prying of belt. but personally try to avoid prying on belt. i do not do it enough, and when i try to pry on belt, i will more likely put a chip into them. or slice the belt up a little bit.

/ Broken Mower Belt #4  
I don't know what size mower deck you have but my 422 with a 48 inch deck had a Jason belt A-105 on it originally. You can get a replacement locally probably I got one at NAPA auto parts store. Just measure your broken belt or take it with you to the store.

/ Broken Mower Belt
Got the new belt from PT. Does anyone have a picture or diagram of how it is wound around the pulleys?

Thanks

/ Broken Mower Belt #6  
Picture 094.jpg

Maybe this look at the 60" finish mower for my 2001 PT-425 will help...