broken sprocket and ag chain type, need help for newbie

/ broken sprocket and ag chain type, need help for newbie #1  

oldbeagle

Tractor
Ford 4000 and MF275
The drive sprocket on an old Cobey spreader broke and I'm trying to source a replacement. It's a 12 tooth 1inch bore sprocket with large teeth on it and uses what looks like a much bigger version of bicycle chain. I guess it's call ag chain? The sprocket's teeth are not pointed and are rather square looking. How do I know what type chain it is and better yet, anyone got a source for these types of sprockets?

/ broken sprocket and ag chain type, need help for newbie #2  
The drive sprocket on an old Cobey spreader broke and I'm trying to source a replacement. It's a 12 tooth 1inch bore sprocket with large teeth on it and uses what looks like a much bigger version of bicycle chain. I guess it's call ag chain? The sprocket's teeth are not pointed and are rather square looking. How do I know what type chain it is and better yet, anyone got a source for these types of sprockets?

How about posting a picture

/ broken sprocket and ag chain type, need help for newbie #5  
Most roller chain has the size stamped on the side of the links. Older chain may or may not have these markings.

/ broken sprocket and ag chain type, need help for newbie #6  
For a spreader, it could be elevator chain links and the sprocket would probably be cast iron or cast steel. Try TSC or Rural King, or some other farm supply outfit. If it is actually "like bicycle chain" then same sources.

/ broken sprocket and ag chain type, need help for newbie #7  
For the sprocket, you might want to try posting a "Want to buy" ad at TractorHouse. TractorHouse.com | Used Tractors For Sale: John Deere, Case IH, New Holland, Kubota. When you go to their site, look in the red column at left, 3rd item down. You'll need to register, leaving contact info. Fill out the form with brand, model, part number, and description. I've gotten responses within an hour of posting, and as long as 48 hours out.

There are many salvage yards, and individuals connected to this site across the U.S. selling salvage parts. Pretty sure it is a requirement for sellers to give a satisfaction guarantee on parts. I know I've used it 10-12 times, and always got results, and the parts I needed.

/ broken sprocket and ag chain type, need help for newbie #8  
Been keeping an eye on this out of curiosity.
Have you had any luck with your sprocket search?
If you can't ind one, you may want to have one built. If it is using the square spreader apron chain,
a sprocket can be made from a piece of plain old mild steel.
Determine the radius of the outer end of the teeth, layout a circle,
then divide the circumference for the proper number of holes,
drill out the holes to be the reliefs between the teeth portions, ( it's been a while but I think I used a 5/8's drill for mine)
then cut out the sprocket cutting just outside the center of the holes,
square up the slightly more then 1/2 wholes with a grinder.
It will not last as long as the old one did and is not as strong as the old casting.
But I doubt that you are using the spreader as much as it was designed to be used.
If you are a machine shop can manufacture your gear easily.

/ broken sprocket and ag chain type, need help for newbie #9  
#60 extended pitch chain is what ours had on it. ---May be something like 2060 stamped on it. ---- real common stuff!

/ broken sprocket and ag chain type, need help for newbie #10