broken steering arm on a 2165

/ broken steering arm on a 2165 #1  

geneP

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case-International 385, Kubota L5450 w/LA1150A loader
This afternoon I was greasing my mower and noticed the steering arm slightly loose on the square part of the steering knuckle. I tried to tighten it and the arm snapped where it starts around the square shaft. The arm looks like steel, but is grainy looking in the broken area. Does anybody know if it is cast iron or not?

Since it didn't tighten on the shaft I'm thinking the shaft might be worn, too. I'll dig deeper into that when I go back to the shop.

/ broken steering arm on a 2165 #2  
The steering arms look to be a forged or stamped steel part. I'm surprised it broke. Usually the little ball joints are the weakest link with the steering gear box being 2nd weakest. Either way, the parts can be had thru a dealer.

Joel

/ broken steering arm on a 2165
I'm just not close to a dealer. I might just try to "V" it out and weld it and see it it will hold.

/ broken steering arm on a 2165 #4  
I hear ya. Even if you were, it's probably a special order part and would take weeks anyway. Check eBay for parts. I've had good luck that way.

Joel

/ broken steering arm on a 2165 #5  
The steering arm 748-3049 is most likely in stock at most dealers. I've seen it online for betwwen $17 and $20. It has a high failure rate and I've welded a few for people but I tell them they should buy a new one put it on and keep the welded one as a spare.

/ broken steering arm on a 2165 #6  
I just broke the arm on my GT3235 - looks to be a cast part. My dealer had 3 in stock, so it must be pretty common break.

I welded mine last night and put it back on the mower. After several loops around the yard it's holding fine now, but from your experiences the safe thing to do is to replace it. I just called and ordered one.

/ broken steering arm on a 2165 #8  
Geeze they are a fairly beefing looking steel stamping too?! I'm surprised they break instead of the ball joint. I know I split the steering gear case on mine while everything else stayed intact. It must be the stress induced at the square notch on them? Scary though. One front wheel would tuck right in on you if you lost one on the fly.

Joel

Hi Joel, I don't think they are a stamping. It did snap in one of the corners as I was trying to tighten it because it was loose on the steering knuckle as it is called. It was a clean, new break and has the grainy look of cast. If it were steel it would bend before breaking.

/ broken steering arm on a 2165 #10  
Very true Gene! I just looked at mine again. They sure look too thick to be stamped. They appear to be cast, tumbled to knock off the sharp edges then yellow chromate plated. There's probably some spotty heat treating on them that doesn't help matters. Oh well... at least it's an easy to replace item and not grossly expensive. Good work by the way if you were able to weld yours up!

Joel