Broken Turbo shaft JD8440

/ Broken Turbo shaft JD8440 #1  

kuboman

Veteran Member
Tractor
B3200, L5740,
Thought I might get some ideas here.
Problem....The turbine (exhaust) side of the turbo on my JD8440 4WD tractor blew apart yesterday. The shaft broke on the turbine side and the turbine blew out the exhaust. The unit has less than 2000 hrs has always had clean oil, proper operation etc. It was rebuilt the same time as the engine so essentially new 2000 hrs ago.
The engine at time of rebuild was turned up to 210 pto hp which was done by the dealer. Specifications for this engine show 23psi of boost to be normal max. I do get 26 psi on rare occasions. I can't think it is over boosting but I am open to suggestions. :confused:

/ Broken Turbo shaft JD8440 #2  
Sounds as if you are operating it within reason. Replace the turbo and go back to work with it. We would all like to think a turbo would last more then 2000 hours, but some don't.

/ Broken Turbo shaft JD8440 #3  
Thought I might get some ideas here.
Problem....The turbine (exhaust) side of the turbo on my JD8440 4WD tractor blew apart yesterday. The shaft broke on the turbine side and the turbine blew out the exhaust. The unit has less than 2000 hrs has always had clean oil, proper operation etc. It was rebuilt the same time as the engine so essentially new 2000 hrs ago.
The engine at time of rebuild was turned up to 210 pto hp which was done by the dealer. Specifications for this engine show 23psi of boost to be normal max. I do get 26 psi on rare occasions. I can't think it is over boosting but I am open to suggestions. :confused:

Do you have an EGT gauge? When the boost pressure is above max - you might also be experiencing elevated exhaust gas temperatures as well.

If the oil lubing the shaft bearing's starts to break-down or "coke"... well, that's also what happens to the turbo bearing's.

AKfish

/ Broken Turbo shaft JD8440
Do you have an EGT gauge? When the boost pressure is above max - you might also be experiencing elevated exhaust gas temperatures as well.

If the oil lubing the shaft bearing's starts to break-down or "coke"... well, that's also what happens to the turbo bearing's.

AKfish

Yes I do have an EGT gauge and it has never made it over 850* plus the turbo bearing is in good shape no coking or any sign of excessive heat. It just broke, just one of those things. S--t happens.:(

/ Broken Turbo shaft JD8440 #5  
I agree with the s@@@ happens! Those were heavy tractors for the engine but you aren't working it for the temps you are running.

/ Broken Turbo shaft JD8440 #6  
Yes I do have an EGT gauge and it has never made it over 850* plus the turbo bearing is in good shape no coking or any sign of excessive heat. It just broke, just one of those things. S--t happens.:(

There ya go... I guess! ;)

AKfish