Rotary Cutter Brown tree cutter

/ Brown tree cutter #1  

Smokeydog

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B26, M59, M5030DT
Bought an old, well worn 5’ brown tree cutter. Gearbox and stump jumper serviceable. Someone has tried to make blades from bush hog blades makes it very unbalanced. New blades are $165 each. Need four. Bolts are another $200.

Only have $300 in it so far. May be worth only scrap. Has anyone found another source for blades?

Has newer drive shaft. Will need a slip and overriding clutches.

/ Brown tree cutter #2  
Can't answer any of your questions about other sources for parts , but a Brown tree cutter is one bad mother, I used one years ago and if it was to big to run over I would back into it and cut it down.

/ Brown tree cutter #3  
It look like new ones start at 10,000. If it isn't rusted out and the gear box works it's probably worth putting some money in it.

/ Brown tree cutter #5  
All the above. I've seen them in action and they are tanks. I'd invest in the OEM parts and be happy you got a bargain. They make a shredder look like a toy.

/ Brown tree cutter #6  
Too bad you aren't closer, I'd take it off your hands for what you have in it in a minute. if you really want to sell it, put it on Tractor House and it will be gone in a flash.

/ Brown tree cutter #7  
Have you seen any of the videos on the Brown web site. Those tree cutter models are true beasts. On one video, the tractor has a HD pexiglass shield outside the rear window. You can see crap ricocheting off this plexi shield.

Not an implement I would want to run on my open station tractor. If I had the tractor - it would sure cut down on my time and energy - thinning my pine stands.

/ Brown tree cutter #8  
Seems mike quite the tree n brush cutter but all the slash will still need to be removed afterwards. :p

/ Brown tree cutter #9  
Arlyn - "all the slash will need to be removed later". Maybe, maybe not. In my case, I would let it lay and just rot down. My trees, that I thin, are way out on the 80 acres where slash would not bother.

It probably is not the implement if you are trying to turn your land into a park like environment.

/ Brown tree cutter
The guy I got the cutter from demoed with a MF165. So out of balance could only rev a little above idle. Even at low rpm it could smash and cut undergrowth and rocks. Kind of hard to watch shaking so much. Has only one OEM type blade and three shortened rotary cutter blades. It took several minutes to coast to a stop after shutting off tractor given the huge disk. I wouldn’t use without putting on the right blades. Against my better judgment bought a another project. Add to the list.

Guess I’ll remove all the blades, run to check balance and evaluate before ordering new blades.