Brush cutter

/ Brush cutter #1  

murphy1244

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota 1120 RTV Kioti DK-40, MF-135, Ventrac 4500Y
I need to brush cut 2 acres with prim rose and other junk among trees. What cutter has the power and torque to do the job without weighing a ton???

Thanks for any and all answers to this ?

/ Brush cutter #2  
I HAVE A KING KUTTER 6' TRAIL MOWER,80HP GEAR BOX AND SLIP CLUTCH. AND IT HAS WORKED ON EVERYTHING I HAVE PUT UNDER IT. IT ONLYL HAS TWO CUTTING BLADES SO I DON'T THINK IT WOULD BE CONSIDERED A HEAVY DUTY MOWER. I USUALLY MOW WITH THE OLD JD "A" MODDEL, BUT IT HAS WORKED FINE ON MY DS4110 .

/ Brush cutter
I HAVE A KING KUTTER 6' TRAIL MOWER,80HP GEAR BOX AND SLIP CLUTCH. AND IT HAS WORKED ON EVERYTHING I HAVE PUT UNDER IT. IT ONLYL HAS TWO CUTTING BLADES SO I DON'T THINK IT WOULD BE CONSIDERED A HEAVY DUTY MOWER. I USUALLY MOW WITH THE OLD JD "A" MODDEL, BUT IT HAS WORKED FINE ON MY DS4110 .

Thanks but no room to get a tractor in there

/ Brush cutter #4  
I need to brush cut 2 acres with prim rose and other junk among trees. What cutter has the power and torque to do the job without weighing a ton???

Thanks for any and all answers to this ?
I bought a Stihl fs 360 last summer with the carbide blade. It weights 18 pounds but with the shoulder harness, it's manageable. It cuts thick stands of 2" pine with ease.

/ Brush cutter #5  
Spray it with Remedy and let it die off. That is tough stuff to cut.
Four gal. back pack with blue agri-dye to mark the sprayed areas, slow walks as weather cools down and soon enough you'll be done.

/ Brush cutter #6  
Spray it with Remedy and let it die off. That is tough stuff to cut.
Four gal. back pack with blue agri-dye to mark the sprayed areas, slow walks as weather cools down and soon enough you'll be done.

Then gather into piles and burn. When it's only annual weeds you can keep it down with a string trimmer.

/ Brush cutter #7  
I bought a Stihl fs 360 last summer with the carbide blade. It weights 18 pounds but with the shoulder harness, it's manageable. It cuts thick stands of 2" pine with ease.

What he said. Just take your time and do some every day till it's all down. But Boy I'd sure be wanting to get a tractor in there. There will be some large brush piles to burn I presume. Man, you are talking about some work.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Brush cutter #8  
Nice Avatar Murph!!

/ Brush cutter #9  
I have a Stihl FS350. I have just about every "head" that Stihl makes. I modified the head with the three free-swinging nylon blades. I had the local welding shop make two sets of blades out of high carbon steel. It's a real cutting machine.

But - LORDY. Two acres. That's going to take a lot of time. I have the harness also but just the thought makes my back hurt.

Go to your local rental shop. See if they have a walk behind field & brush mower. Every major company makes several models. Stihl, Husqvarna, JD, DR - the list is endless.

/ Brush cutter #10  
Yeah, I would get a walk behind... even keep an eye out on the used market... My mom ended up with a used DR version I think it's 26" cut with a solid blade and I think 15hp engine for $350, I got a Billy Goat Outback version that is a 13hp and 24" cut I believe but similar for $250. Of the two the DR is nicer on the operator with a locking differential and a little wider track width and first gear is slower... but based on initial price the Billy Goat is commercial duty at 30% higher initial cost...