Brush Hog Question

/ Brush Hog Question #1  

SJay

Gold Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT225 Tractor, John Deere 4x2 Gator, Husqvarna Zero Turn, John Deere Buck 650 ATV
20161217_135627.jpg20161217_140352.jpg

I have seen some brush hogs without this part and others with it. What is the purpose of it and should I use it?
Thanks

/ Brush Hog Question #2  
That part allows the hog to follow the ground contour, go to everything attachments web site they have video that explains it very well. Check out their brush hog videos

/ Brush Hog Question
That's it -very helpful - Thanks:thumbsup:

/ Brush Hog Question #4  
It can also help prevent damage to your top link.
If you don't have something like that on the top link portion of your bush hog and you back into a hill it puts a lot of pressure on the top link of your tractor. It can even lift your rear wheels off the ground

/ Brush Hog Question #5  
If your mower uses a flat steel bar with a chain on the tail end from the 3rd member (top link), you don't need that accessory. It's for rigid 3 pt attachment mowers to do as others have stated.

/ Brush Hog Question #7  
I have seen some smaller hogs that have a chain for the top link.

My mower is a 6 footer, and uses a chain for the top link. It did not come that way from the factory, but is a very effective method of allowing the mower to follow contour.

/ Brush Hog Question #8  
My mower is a 6 footer, and uses a chain for the top link. It did not come that way from the factory, but is a very effective method of allowing the mower to follow contour.

Do you have ROPS on your tractor?
Chain works for contour but does nothing to prevent kick up. If the shredder catches something it could flip up and hit the operator if you do not have ROPS.

/ Brush Hog Question #9  
View attachment 491934View attachment 491935

I have seen some brush hogs without this part and others with it. What is the purpose of it and should I use it?
Thanks

That second picture shows the part installed backwards. If you turn it around, you should be able to adjust your top link so this part engages when you lift the mower approximately 6" off the ground. Once it engages the mower won't hinge and will lift the tail from that point upward. That allows the tail wheel to fall 6" following contours. It also allows the tail to raise up much more that that if you back into a hill or come off a hill through a dip or sway area.

/ Brush Hog Question #10  
Do you have ROPS on your tractor?
Chain works for contour but does nothing to prevent kick up. If the shredder catches something it could flip up and hit the operator if you do not have ROPS.

Wow, I've never heard of that!!!! Sounds very dangerous.