Brush hog stump jumper/blade carrier mod for bolts.

/ Brush hog stump jumper/blade carrier mod for bolts. #1  

TDMLLC

Tractor
Kioti CK30
I'm a machinist, and a guy brought me a stump jumper off of what I think is a JCT brush cutter for a skid steer. It uses smaller bolts with castle nuts, and I assume just loosening up any amount makes the hole and bolt go to crap. He wants some custom bolts to mount common blades he can get at Tractor Supply. My thoughts are to just bore out thr holes in the carrier plate to accept common brush hot bolts he can get there as well. My question is, does the 'key' or 'spline' on the bolt need a keyway in the hole, or is it intended to be an interference fit? Thanks!

For reference I think it's the same issue this guy on YouTube had.

Attachments

• 20240120_213227.jpg
    20240120_213227.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 49
  • 20240119_162807.jpg
    20240119_162807.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 56
   / Brush hog stump jumper/blade carrier mod for bolts. #2  
On the bigger bushhogs bat wings the new pans come with a weldable
Hex sleeve for blades
Part number 50076706 sleeve
Bolt kit is 50076475
Bush hog part numbers

/ Brush hog stump jumper/blade carrier mod for bolts. #3  
The pinched shoulder on the Bush Hog blade bolts are to keep it from turning when tightening or loosening the hex nut.

My Befco mower had the same design as JCT & was doo doo imo because bolt would spin & wollar the shoulder on bolt & the hole out in stump jumper .

/ Brush hog stump jumper/blade carrier mod for bolts. #4  
The pinched shoulder on the Bush Hog blade bolts are to keep it from turning when tightening or loosening the hex nut.

My Befco mower had the same design as JCT & was doo doo imo because bolt would spin & wollar the shoulder on bolt & the hole out in stump jumper .
I agree with you were ****
But the hex heads seemed to work really well three seasons just had welds break on one
Just welded it back in

/ Brush hog stump jumper/blade carrier mod for bolts. #5  
But without the pinch when the bolt gets the least bit loose : the bolt spins.

A bolt with the pinch can’t spin at all : tight OR loose.

/ Brush hog stump jumper/blade carrier mod for bolts. #6  
Weld in hex assembly for mower blades

Attachments

• AF488F7C-A3CA-454D-BDE1-39E17203E0D9.jpeg
    AF488F7C-A3CA-454D-BDE1-39E17203E0D9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
   / Brush hog stump jumper/blade carrier mod for bolts. #7  
For the OPs question, they are keyed into place, but agree, a square or hex hole is the way to go.

/ Brush hog stump jumper/blade carrier mod for bolts. #8  
Very good ideas (y)

Dman I now see what you’re saying about the Hex SHOULDER that you weld in the stump jumper & totally agree.

My Bush Hog 2815 has pinched blade bolts but I like the Hex Shoulder Bolts much better on my JD MX10

Last edited: