Brush Hog

/ Brush Hog #1  

dtd24

Gold Member
Tractor
98 JD 1070
I have a 99 1070 JD w/ 440 FEL and 8B hoe. I took off my backhoe and I hooked up the 3 point hitch for the first time. It went good, I think I will be able to do it quicker next time. I installed the brush hog, and it works like a champ. I went though a couple of shear bolts though. It says to run the hog at 540 pto rpm, on my tractor that is 2610. WOW ! I usually run it a bit lower. Runs great , but fast for some of my terrian. Gotta get use to it I guess.

/ Brush Hog #2  
Welcome to the forum.

>>I went though a couple of shear bolts though<<

Did you hit something or did you break them trying to engage the cutter?

>>Runs great , but fast for some of my terrian.<<

Not sure what you mean there. Try a lower gear, perhaps??

/ Brush Hog
Shear bolts......yeah. Well, the first one busted because I engaged the pto with rpm's too high. The second one was from hitting a car rim. Ouch. The previous owner left me all kinds of goodies all over the place.

I understand the gear is the only thing that controls the speed of the tractor when using the pto. I thought I had it in low 1. Gonna try some more toinight.

/ Brush Hog #4  
I am not familar with your tractor. Maybe someone who is will chime in here. Do you have a range selector as well as a gear shift? I would imagine, if you do, low range and low gear would just creep along.

/ Brush Hog #5  
I'm not familiar with your tractor.. but if it has 1-2 stage clutch.. lower rpm, and use clutch to feather pto into operation. if independent, lower rpm, and see if your manual has a 'slow/feather' sequence for engagement.. etc..

Soundguy

/ Brush Hog #6  
dtd24 said:
I have a 99 1070 JD w/ 440 FEL and 8B hoe. I took off my backhoe and I hooked up the 3 point hitch for the first time. It went good, I think I will be able to do it quicker next time. I installed the brush hog, and it works like a champ. I went though a couple of shear bolts though. It says to run the hog at 540 pto rpm, on my tractor that is 2610. WOW ! I usually run it a bit lower. Runs great , but fast for some of my terrian. Gotta get use to it I guess.

You DO NOT HAVE TO RUN THAT HOG AT 540 PTO RPM for a good cut. You can experiment with gears and rpm on the tach. I've got a 60hp 4wd with a HD 7ft cutter on the back. PTO speed of 540 is achieved at 2000rpm on the tach. I usually run this hog at about 1500 to 1800rpm on the tach in 3rd or 4th gear (8speed). If I was cutting 3" saplings I'd be in a much lower gear thougjh....BobG in VA