Brush Hogging Cogon Grass. Advice and guidance needed.

/ Brush Hogging Cogon Grass. Advice and guidance needed. #1  

Brumm

Tractor
Massey Ferguson, Ford, John Deer,
Brush hogging Cogon grass 🤷🏻‍♂️

Any experience and advice to share rotary brush Hogging cogon grass. I rotary slashed it many times but the grass won't get cut. It's bulletproof and it's very stressful to work. I used a Massey Ferguson 240 Perkins diesel with a 5 rotary cutter I built myself. I was thinking of increasing the blade speed by upgrading to a 1: 2.83 ratio gearbox and borin steel blades. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-05-23-17-59-17-82_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-05-23-17-59-17-82_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    522.3 KB · Views: 78
   / Brush Hogging Cogon Grass. Advice and guidance needed.
Spray it. Cutting it only spreads it
Thank you for your valuable advice. I'll do some research on herbicide. Thank you very much 🤝

/ Brush Hogging Cogon Grass. Advice and guidance needed. #4  
Once cogongrass is established, chemical control is required. Glyphosate, imazapyr, and combinations of the two herbicides are most effective, but eradication requires multiple applications. Good luck....

/ Brush Hogging Cogon Grass. Advice and guidance needed. #5  
Living in WA state as I do I had never heard of Cogon grass as it apparently has not made it here yet. So I looked then stuff up and found out that its roots can go as deep as 4 feet! No wonder mowing is of no use. Though I never use pesticides or herbicides on my land if I had Cogon grass I would probably make an exception because it is so invasive. We have Scotch Broom here and it is one of those invasive and hard to get rid of plants, so I can understand why a person would want to get rid of Cogon.
Eric

Once cogongrass is established, chemical control is required. Glyphosate, imazapyr, and combinations of the two herbicides are most effective, but eradication requires multiple applications. Good luck....
Thank you for your informative advice 👍🏻

Living in WA state as I do I had never heard of Cogon grass as it apparently has not made it here yet. So I looked then stuff up and found out that its roots can go as deep as 4 feet! No wonder mowing is of no use. Though I never use pesticides or herbicides on my land if I had Cogon grass I would probably make an exception because it is so invasive. We have Scotch Broom here and it is one of those invasive and hard to get rid of plants, so I can understand why a person would want to get rid of Cogon.
Eric
Thank you Mr. Eric for your input. Yes this invasive plants are taking over pasture land and this Cogon grass has a blade edge causing injuries to the mouths of cattle. I hope the scotch broom goes away too.

/ Brush Hogging Cogon Grass. Advice and guidance needed. #8  
Spray, burn, and dig up root balls works if eradication is the goal.

/ Brush Hogging Cogon Grass. Advice and guidance needed. #9  
I dont think it would be safe to go to 24,000 fpm blade speed.

The FASTEST blade speed you see any MFG use for a rotary is only around 17k. Which is a 2:1 box on a 5' cutter.

What did you use? Whats current blade speed? And why isnt it cutting?

Sorry I am unfamiliar with that grass, but steel blades swinging at 15k fpm should cut just about anything. Is the tractor/mower laying it down and it just isnt coming back up to be cut?

/ Brush Hogging Cogon Grass. Advice and guidance needed. #10  
Will goats eat it?