Brushogging

/ Brushogging #12  
Somewhere around 10 hours, at 4mph. That's assuming full 7 foot cut every pass, no doubling back, no over lap, no BSing around. Now, if you can pull off 4.5 mpg average, it will be a bit faster.

I think 4mph is a pretty good number for a field, but if there are obstacles, heavier brush, ect, it could very well be 3 mph, or 14 hours.
4mph brush hogging? That's cooking.

/ Brushogging #13  
That math is pretty simple. It also ignores everything that doesn‘t involve mowing in a straight line.
I think it's a good estimator, but yes the shape, condition, and material in the field have a huge influence. As does the skill of the operator.

I think there's a lot of optimistic numbers being pushed so far, I mow a lot of hay and with a 9' cutter mowing flat mostly square fields I'm close to the numbers people are putting up.

/ Brushogging #14  
3 mph is my top speed for bushhogging on my land, and that's in the open areas. If I go faster, I'm bouncing all over the place and not comfortable with how quickly things come up that I need to avoid or bounce through. I go a lot slower in the tricky areas.

I'm on a 70 HP tractor with a 12 foot batwing. I own 68 acres, but I only mow areas of it at a time. I've never tried to mow more then 10 acres in a day, I have too many other chores and projects that need to be done. Mowing is how I finish off a day when I have a few hours to do something, but I'm too tired to do anything besides sit in an air conditioned cab.

/ Brushogging #17  
I think it's a good estimator, but yes the shape, condition, and material in the field have a huge influence. As does the skill of the operator.

I think there's a lot of optimistic numbers being pushed so far, I mow a lot of hay and with a 9' cutter mowing flat mostly square fields I'm close to the numbers people are putting up.
Agreed. Very optimistic indeed. For me it would be 3 full days and at the end my hour meter would have 18-20 more hours on it. I cut at 2.3 MPH top speed and have to slow down at times. Anything faster is not a good cut and leaves brush clumped and pushed over. My current blades have about 200 acres and So they are sharp…

/ Brushogging #18  
So, part of this depends on the material being cut, and also the desired cut quality. If you want to really cut it, or just cut/knock it all down,

/ Brushogging #19  
No one asked how tall the field is and that is the one variable that is easily figured in. So, how tall is the material you are cutting. There is a big difference in cutting a field that is 2-3 feet high and one that is 4-5 feet high. Mph will vary greatly.

Also, assuming we are just talking weeds and not bramble, or sapplings?