Bucket Bar for Preparing Soil to Plant

/ Bucket Bar for Preparing Soil to Plant #21  
Most people use a rototiller everywhere. But over several years, soils get compacted and develop a plow pan just below the tilling depth and need to be ripped. The ripper costs $1650, considerably less than most pto tillers. My garden is considerably larger than 50x50 and it fills our freezers and canning jars each year. The garden and orchard combined with a freezer full of home grown beef is a major part of our household groceries each year.
That was my point...overkill for a 50x50 garden. Waste of money IMO.

I grew up poor and my family gardened for decades. We used to use shovels to turn the soil. Then my dad bought a cheap rototiller and that was a godsend. We likely had the "plow pan" you mentioned but we were too ignorant to know. Stuff still grew. Maybe our yields were not optimum, but most times we could not eat it all anyway!!!

BTW, I save a ton of work and a bit of money by not having a garden. Recently bought over 200 cans of peas, corn and green beans for $.20/can. It costs that much to buy a lid for a mason jar.

/ Bucket Bar for Preparing Soil to Plant #22  
That was my point...overkill for a 50x50 garden. Waste of money IMO.

I grew up poor and my family gardened for decades. We used to use shovels to turn the soil. Then my dad bought a cheap rototiller and that was a godsend. We likely had the "plow pan" you mentioned but we were too ignorant to know. Stuff still grew. Maybe our yields were not optimum, but most times we could not eat it all anyway!!!

BTW, I save a ton of work and a bit of money by not having a garden. Recently bought over 200 cans of peas, corn and green beans for $.20/can. It costs that much to buy a lid for a mason jar.
$.20/can is not something that is typical and in fact may never be available. And a 50x50 garden is a hobby. I don’t grow hobby gardens.

/ Bucket Bar for Preparing Soil to Plant #23  
The correcting of the pH of the soil in my garden will impact the output,
FAR greater than any hardpan layer or turning of the soil in the garden.

I have been gardening this same spot for 35 of the 40 years that we have lived on this property.

For me, less compaction, by NOT driving any machine on the garden that could pull a subsoiler is important.
Compact the soil with a 5,000 pound or greater machine, then, you need to wait for a freeze to repair the soil.
This year, so far, we have not even had a freeze enough to kill kale, or lettuce.

I will continue to tread lightly on my 50X100 garden, and amend the soil as needed,,

/ Bucket Bar for Preparing Soil to Plant #24  
The correcting of the pH of the soil in my garden will impact the output,
FAR greater than any hardpan layer or turning of the soil in the garden.

I have been gardening this same spot for 35 of the 40 years that we have lived on this property.

For me, less compaction, by NOT driving any machine on the garden that could pull a subsoiler is important.
Compact the soil with a 5,000 pound or greater machine, then, you need to wait for a freeze to repair the soil.
This year, so far, we have not even had a freeze enough to kill kale, or lettuce.

I will continue to tread lightly on my 50X100 garden, and amend the soil as needed,,
Whatever works for you. Everyone’s soil conditions vary.

Last edited:
   / Bucket Bar for Preparing Soil to Plant #25  
Hi,
I have a 50ft x 50ft vegetable garden. I planted last year and used my bucket to over turn dirt. The ground is pretty soft and I wanted a less agreessive alternative. I'm looking at a piranha bar and a tiger bar. The plan is to use one of these to dig into the surface of the soil, back drag to break up the top 8". I didn't want to invest in a tiller - I really have no place for storage and the local guy wants 200.00 to till the garden. Which bucket Bar would work best. My tractor is an LS 240HE with backhoe.https://www.bxpanded.com/piranha-toothbar
I'm going to offer an answer you weren't asking about. Once the soil has been plowed/turned/broken, and especially if it is soft, consider not turning it again. I am a commercial market gardener, certified organic, and have almost entirely switched to no-till growing in my gardens. To make the switch, I laid out permanent 30" wide beds, laid about 3" of compost on top of them, mulched everything with leaves, and planted directly into the compost--no tilling, no turning, no soil disturbance. The thick layer of compost buries your annual weed seeds, and the leaves provide a rich diet for the worms, who will over the season make the nicest soil possible. Minerals and other amendments go right on top of the soil/compost layer, followed by mulch or more compost. This method cuts down radically on the annual weeds you will have, leaves your plants in excellent and improving soil, and grows delicious and abundant crops. More detail here if you are interested:

/ Bucket Bar for Preparing Soil to Plant
A ripper bucket for your backhoe could work as a subsoiler. Backhoe Ripper You just have to reposition the tractor a bunch. My JD870 that weighs about 400 pounds less than your tractor is not very interested in pulling a single shank on the 3 point hitch. I need more weight on or in the rear wheels.
An interesting tool. Thanks

/ Bucket Bar for Preparing Soil to Plant
I like the idea of no tilling. I do have some leaves I can compost into the garden. Last year was my first year growing a garden in the yard. I'vew had some great gardens at my old house. I think the horse manure I got from my neighbor wasn't mature. All my plants were stunted. I'm hoping this year will be better. Thinking of going to the county extension and getting my soil tested.

/ Bucket Bar for Preparing Soil to Plant #29  
The teeth on your backhoe comes to mind.... you can control the depth of flipping over the soil.
Yup, flip with the hoe, smooth with the bucket, no purchase necessary:)

/ Bucket Bar for Preparing Soil to Plant #30