Bucket cylinder bent rod

/ Bucket cylinder bent rod #1  

Unclewilley

Tractor
Massey Furgeson
I have a Massey Ferguson 1742 tractor with DL125 FEL. Bent the cylinder rod in one of a FEL bucket cylinders (AGAIN!!!). The bucket cylinder was previously replaced by a dealer using an ACGO part # AL60006622 ($1,174 - part $835, labor $245 plus tax). The replacement cylinder was not an exact replacement but did fit. Not sure I'm up to trying to replace the cylinder rod??

Any recommendations regarding non-oem cylinders?

Any help appreciated!!!

/ Bucket cylinder bent rod #2  
It's a pretty safe bet somebody built that loader for Massey. Quicke, Ansung, KMW, somebody. Find out who and you might knock 50% off your cost. Or see if you have a good hydraulics shop anywhere near you. If so they can build/fix/supply what you need from a new rod and seal kit to a complete cylinder.
Bailey Hydraulics, Baum Iron and Surplus Center are worth checking for generic cylinders.

$245 labor to change one loader cylinder? Did you go to the hospital and get a rape kit afterwards?

/ Bucket cylinder bent rod #3  
Speaking of getting shafted, that $835 for the cylinder is no bargain either. Especially for an after market part. I just paid less than half that for four cylinders at Surplus Center for my Kubota. o_O

I sure hope they used corn head grease of something. 😏

/ Bucket cylinder bent rod #4  
Ditto on the above recommendation about a hydraulics shop. I had a badly bent cylinder rod on a backhoe boom. A local shop straightened it for me. I'm sure it was less than $200 for them to get it lined back up and it's a simple 10 minute job to remove and install. This also included new seals on the shaft end because I had wallowed that out a bit trying to use it bent.

/ Bucket cylinder bent rod #6  
After you get it fixed....you need to figure out what your are doing wrong to bend the cylinders and not do it again

99 percent chance he’s back dragging with the bucket beyond 45 degrees.

/ Bucket cylinder bent rod #8  
Or using forks......

Dave M7040

Back-dragging or prying with forks. There’s not a lot of potential to bend rods using forks for lifting. It sounds like the OP needs a CTL and stop using the tractor as one.

/ Bucket cylinder bent rod #9  
Or - learning that a tractor is not a bull dozer. Expensive lesson...........