Bucket edge bolts - what finish do you like?

/ Bucket edge bolts - what finish do you like? #1  

SmallChange

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland WM25 with 200LC front end loader, filled R4 tires 43X16.00-20 and 25X8.50-14 (had a Kubota B6200D with dozer and R1 tires)
Getting things on order for winter and specifying steel hex bolts for attaching my urethane bucket edge. Last year I bought fine thread stainless -- big mistake -- they went together fine and lasted the winter easily, but one seized up during removal and created a couple hours hard labor for me. This year I'm thinking steel with some kind of finish, and using new bolts every year (that suggestion came from somebody here). There are 5 bolts, and they're 1/2" X 1-3/4". And I'm going with coarse threads to make seizing less likely.

But what finish? Here are my available options for that particular bolt (on McMaster-Carr):
Black Oxide
Black Phosphate
Black Ultra Corrosion Resistant Coated
Cadmium Plated
Hot Dipped Galvanized
Zinc Plated
Zinc Yellow Chromate Plated
Zinc Aluminum Coated

Three other questions:

What material for the hex nuts? Using dissimilar bolt and nut metal is a good way to avoid seizing, but, then, they're likely to see salt and wetness, and dissimilar metals also sets up galvanic corrosion.

And, should I use Locktite?

And, do you like any specials, like flanged heads, or nylon locking inserts?

What say the experienced experts of TBN???

Thank you!

/ Bucket edge bolts - what finish do you like? #3  
Who knew there were so many choices to make when buying a bolt? Not me.

It would be interesting to hear from a metallurgist.

But short of that, why not buy what your local bolt supplier keeps in stock? Especially when you plan on replacing them yearly.

/ Bucket edge bolts - what finish do you like? #4  
For snow scraper with possible salt, i'd go hot dipped galvanized. And YES use the low strength loctite. This combo should last many years Plus allow removal easily because the loctice keeps crud out ot the threads.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

6 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
6 Yard steel end...
John Deere 730 (A33526)
John Deere 730...
Sany SY50 Hydraulic Excavator Thumb (A33113)
Sany SY50...
Pallet of (8) Misc. Beam Trolleys (A33349)
Pallet of (8)...
8 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
8 Yard steel end...
2 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
2 Yard steel end...