Bucket Hook Placement

lzicc

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650
On the pictures, I have circled 3 places to weld hooks too. Does this area seem to be a good location. I have attached 2 pictures. Which one would be the best location?

BucketHooks.JPG
BucketHooks2.JPG

k0ua

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kioti DK35se Hydrostat
In my opinion the first picture with the outside ones in line with the loader arms., and I would "beef up" the middle location if possible. The idea for not putting them out on the edges of the bucket outside of the loader arms, is because it introduces additional stress lever arm the further you stick them out to the side. Of course if you rig between each outside so the same weight is on both, it can work.

jeff9366

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota Tractor Loader L3560 HST+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 3,700 pounds bare tractor; 5,400 pounds operating weight ~~~~~~~~ 37 horsepower
Photo A.

I had my Kubota dealer position the two 5/16" outboard hooks on top of the end plates to elevate hooks just a tad. I have only the two outboard chain grab hooks on my L3560 with 72" L2296 HD RB bucket.

I had a center slip hook on my previous tractor-loader. I seldom used the center hook and it provided a third anchor point for brush carried in clamp-on debris forks attached to the bucket.

I keep two Grade 70, 5/16" chains on the tractor. One 8', the second 12'.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/316605-kubota-l3560-rear-storage.html?highlight=

I recommend Ken's Hooks because I have been broadly impressed with the 'industrial art' quality of five fittings I have bought from Ken, three bolt-on, two weld on. Ken's business is near you in Westminster, Maryland.

Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks <<Weld-On>>

Last edited:

TripleR

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M8540HDC, L5740HSTC, BX2200, BX2660, John Deere 425&1025R, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford
Actually I combined both after seeing them on another member's bucket. I don't use the ones at the ends for anything very heavy, but they have come in handy.

kennyd

Advertiser
Tractor
John Deere 3720 CAB/TLB, JD455
I like TripleR's setup, just make sure to lift evenly from the outer hooks.

dieselcrawler

Elite Member
Tractor
2013 JD 3005 2001 Kubota BX1800
Dang.... 5 hooks. Now I'm gonna have to go with 7 just to stay ahead of the TripleR. Will reduce the cargo capacity of my lil 3005 by half due to all thoes heavy steel hooks but gosh darn it I'm gonna do it... *grin* nice clean install, looks good TripleR.

TripleR

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M8540HDC, L5740HSTC, BX2200, BX2660, John Deere 425&1025R, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford
I can't take credit for any of it, I think I got the idea from PHILIP8N or someone else and I just took the hooks to my dealer who did the welding.

Pepsiboy

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2350
Izicc,

I ALSO would go with TrippleR's set up. AND as stated earlier, try to keep load centered under the outside hooks for balance. :2cents: I only have 3 hooks on my BX FEL (one on each side at the top of the bucket and on in the center on the reinforcement plate for the cylinder) and they have worked VERY well for the last 4 years. :2cents: :thumbsup:

Dave

OP
lzicc

lzicc

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650
I do like that Tripler. I think you showed that to me before now that I think about it. I like end ones from moving implement around. I also like the idea of no modification of the bucket itself, just weld the hooks directly on. What size hooks are they, 3/8"?

OP
lzicc

lzicc

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650
Also, looking at your bucket pictures, what type of grease do you use on your joints? When Barlows delivered my machine, they used some kind of black grease, but it looked very clean and didn't seem like it would build up. It actually looked somewhat dry which would keep it from being sticky and dirty. I use the Tacky Red stuff, but it attract dust and dirt.

k0ua

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kioti DK35se Hydrostat
I do like that Tripler. I think you showed that to me before now that I think about it. I like end ones from moving implement around. I also like the idea of no modification of the bucket itself, just weld the hooks directly on. What size hooks are they, 3/8"?

i have always used the 5/16 hooks, they will hold 1/4 or 5/16 chain. Some say they will hold 3/8 chain pretty well also.. But I don't have any 3/8 chain to know for sure.

TripleR

Super Star Member
Tractor

Like James, I used 5/16 on our 5740, we have 3/8 on our M8540, but could get by with 5/16, I never pull anything that needs 3/8 chain.

Also, looking at your bucket pictures, what type of grease do you use on your joints? When Barlows delivered my machine, they used some kind of black grease, but it looked very clean and didn't seem like it would build up. It actually looked somewhat dry which would keep it from being sticky and dirty. I use the Tacky Red stuff, but it attract dust and dirt.

I use Sinclair Arctic Fire lithium based grease, I've used several different kinds over the years and just settled on this as we get it by the case locally from our bulk distributor. I'm sure there is a better grease out there, this is just what we use.

JRP

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800
My choice is neither photo.

The hook should have the opening slanted back, and slightly up, so gravity tries to keep the chain in instead of helping the chain to fall out. Mount them on the front top of the bucket.

I use 3/8 hooks from horrible freight, but cut off the clevis pin before welding. They work with 1/4 to 3/8 chain. I keep an 8' and 16' grade 70 chain on my tractor.

Scrambler82

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra Max 28XL, HST, TLB
On the pictures, I have circled 3 places to weld hooks too. Does this area seem to be a good location. I have attached 2 pictures. Which one would be the best location?

View attachment 393138

The first one is the best of your mounting points and yes an added set of hooks might help.
You could place the outer two hooks, from your first picture, a little more outward and get similar results and not lose a lot of strength in the mounting locations.
An extra two of the chain hooks would be cheap and easy to install if you really want five hooks.

Teikas Dad

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200
This is how I set mine up. 2 in line with the loader arms, 2 clevis mounts for lighter lifting straps outside of those. A hook in the center on top and a mount inside the bucket for a clevis. I also added a hook down low on the back side of the bucket. I welded everything on the top to a 3X3 piece of angle.

IMG_5314_zps4f02dd56.jpg

IMG_5319_zps33900b8c.jpg

IMG_5320_zps90d3bd60.jpg

IMG_5311_zps7be34fe0.jpg

kevinj

Veteran Member
Tractor
BX-1860, L3940HSTC, B7500, Farmall M, Farmall 560D
I can't take credit for any of it, I think I got the idea from PHILIP8N or someone else and I just took the hooks to my dealer who did the welding.

I think ya stole it from me!!!!:laughing:

P5170006.jpg

OP
lzicc

lzicc

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650
Now I have too many options. :) I do like TripleR's placement. I may just put one in the middle and one on each end of the bucket at the very end. I don't think I would need to put in reinforcement plates on the end ones, but I wonder if I should put one on the middle? I guess it depends how much I lift with it. I want a clean look. I also like the job that Teikis did on his bucket, but his bucket is shaped different than mine. I think since I have the heavy duty bucket that I should not need to reinforce it.

I found 3 - 3/8" weldable hooks in my toolbox that I purchased a while back that I never put on.

Scrambler82

Veteran Member
Tractor
Thanks to this thread and the Weld-On Hooks Thread I have decided to use the double mounting
Setup from Kennyd's stuff. (see attached)

I think a 2x2 receiver hitch in the middle will round out any hook up I will come across.

On my existing tractor I am using two bolt-on shackle mounts on the top, these work well except with chain it can become a tangled mess really quick.
Chain Hooks will eliminate the mess and hook up will be quicker but I like the shackles for other things so the double setup will be the way to go.

image.jpgn

image.jpg

PILOON

Super Star Member
Tractor
MT180D
For safety, center hook welded to a backer that is welded to the bucket is probably ideal.
Additional ends when used mainly to stabilize a load is very handy.
But always when moving with slung loads keep your hand on the 'DUMP' lever if you wish to avoid stained drawers!

OP
lzicc

lzicc

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650
I like the shackles. I thought about putting a shackle in the middle instead of a hook for versatility. I also would like to put a receiver on to move my trailer around.

kennyd

Advertiser
Tractor
Sw
Thanks to this thread and the Weld-On Hooks Thread I have decided to use the double mounting
Setup from Kennyd's stuff. (see attached)

I think a 2x2 receiver hitch in the middle will round out any hook up I will come across.

On my existing tractor I am using two bolt-on shackle mounts on the top, these work well except with chain it can become a tangled mess really quick.
Chain Hooks will eliminate the mess and hook up will be quicker but I like the shackles for other things so the double setup will be the way to go.

View attachment 393474n

View attachment 393473

FYI, we will have a bolt on reciever hitch very soon.

OP
lzicc

lzicc

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650
Well, I ended up putting 2 on. Like TripleR mentioned that he didn't use the end ones much which I don't think I will. I was going to put one in the middle, but I may put a receiver hitch there and I'll weld a hook on top of that. I looked at the steel on the bucket that I was welding to, and it is heavy. I didn't see any need for reinforcement. I don't see the bucket bending there at all.

Bucket.JPG

Grove JD

Tractor
JD 4300
After seeing this thread I decided I need these on my bucket and I ordered my hooks and shackle mounts from KennyD!

hslogger

Platinum Member
Tractor
currently l4400 stick
Just another way that I did it. Three regular grab hooks ground down a bit on the back side to make a smoother fit. I had this similar set up on all my older tractors. Three is the number you want. If you are gonna tear these up than you aren't working smart

Attachments

• PA050022.jpg
    PA050022.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 247
  • PA050021.jpg
    PA050021.jpg
    962.4 KB · Views: 183

Scrambler82

Veteran Member
Tractor
I mounted the "Bolt-On Hooks" Hooks over the weekend, one at each pivot point on the FEL.

Also added in the "Bolt-On Hooks" 2x2Receiver, centered on the FEL.

image.jpg

I am having some trouble loading picture, the latest iPad update (8.x) really screwed up my iPad, I can't select anything, getting worse. Need to take a trip to Apple and see what they can do, if anything !

Last edited:

skyhook

Veteran Member
Tractor
1996 Kubota L4200 GSTC,(sold) 1994 JCB 210S 4x4x4
I like the receiver idea, I just wouldn't trust the "bolt on" idea, wouldn't trust the bolts,
especially only two on the hooks.
I would feel more comfortable with them welded.

aczlan

Super Star Member
Tractor
Case 480F LL, Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660
I like the receiver idea, I just wouldn't trust the "bolt on" idea, wouldn't trust the bolts,
Shear strength of Grade 8 3/8" bolts is 9,939.6# each (per: https://nucor-fastener.com/Files/PDFs/TechDataSheets/TDS_013_Shear_Strength.pdf). Thats almost 20,000# for 2 bolts.
If they are 1/2" bolts like Ken sells with his kits, they have a shear strength of 17,670.6# each (or ~35,000# for two).

Aaron Z

kennyd

Advertiser
Tractor

Have you seen any of the videos on my website? Or are you just making a blanket statement condemning my product with no evidence?

Under extreme conditions, a weld can fail also.

Scrambler82

Veteran Member
Tractor

My only concern is the strength of the FEL Bucket in the middle where the "2x2 Bolt-On Hitch" is mounted but for what I will be using it for it will be more than strong enough.

Shear strength of Grade 8 3/8" bolts is 9,939.6# each (per: https://nucor-fastener.com/Files/PDFs/TechDataSheets/TDS_013_Shear_Strength.pdf). Thats almost 20,000# for 2 bolts.
If they are 1/2" bolts like Ken sells with his kits, they have a shear strength of 17,670.6# each (or ~35,000# for two).

Aaron Z

First off the mounting plate is thick enough to weld on if you so chose to, welded it would add to the overall strength of the bucket.
Second, I do not need more strength than the Bolt-On Hooks will supply.
Third, I recently moved to SoCal and all my tools are still in storage, at least until the new shop is in so mounting was a concern and the "Bolt-On Hooks" fit the bill perfectly.

So for me... Bolt-On Hooks were convenient, are strong enough for anything I need to do and very cost effective, so this is a no-brainer... BUY Bolt-On Hooks !

skyhook

Veteran Member
Tractor
Have you seen any of the videos on my website? Or are you just making a blanket statement condemning my product with no evidence?

Under extreme conditions, a weld can fail also.

No, didn't mean to condemn your product in any way,
sorry if you took it this way, nor did i see your videos.
The statement "I' made was not blanket, but as I stated, was my own personal preference,
we all have them , you know;) I prefer "weld's" on my hook's, Do You have a problem with that?

aczlan

Super Star Member
Tractor
Case 480F LL, Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660
No, didn't mean to condemn your product in any way,
sorry if you took it this way, nor did i see your videos.
The statement "I' made was not blanket, but as I stated, was my own personal preference,
we all have them , you know;) I prefer "weld's" on my hook's, Do You have a problem with that?
The second part of your post agrees with this statement, the first (bolded) does not.

Aaron Z

murphy1244

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota 1120 RTV Kioti DK-40, MF-135, Ventrac 4500Y
The second part of your post agrees with this statement, the first (bolded) does not.

Aaron Z

That's his opinion, He is allowed that I hope. Give the guy a break.

skyhook

Veteran Member
Tractor

Aaron Z

Well, thats only my opinion, personally...I would feel more comfortable with 4 bolts, one on each corner, but thats just me.
And thats only if I didn't have the knowledge or own a welder.
Their great, I'm sure, for people who don't have the equipment to weld or the knowledge.
Like I said, I am in no way putting them down, they have their purpose and on smaller machines will work just fine, I presume.
I've only owned bigger machines, Grand "L's" and up, so this is where my thoughts are coming from.
I'm also well aware of what a grade "8" bolt can handle.
As an X grade-man, the only hooks I've seen on machines were welded on, so I may be a bit brain washed on them.
Maybe if Ken sent me a free set, I could try them out...lol:eek:;)

Thanks Murphy.