Bucket Hook(s) Placement

/ Bucket Hook(s) Placement #1  

Snapper Head

Silver Member
Tractor
2010 Kubota L3940 HST-3
I have rapidly discovered that I am always needing/wanting to lift things, and it is certainly convenient to do it with the bucket, rather than hook up/unhookup the boom pole. I am talking about fairly lightweight stuff, less than 200-ish pounds.

So I wrap a log chain around the bucket, and well, you guys know the drill. So having some hooks welded on the bucket would be of great benefit here. My question is - where, how many, and what type (chain hooks, open hooks, schackles, etc)?

There must be some locations that are more advantageous than others.

Has anyone built a hook bar? Like a tooth bar, but mount it on the top lip of the bucket, and it would have various hooks? Crazy, dumb, or did I just give away my retirement plan.:D

Big Al

/ Bucket Hook(s) Placement #2  
I have rapidly discovered that I am always needing/wanting to lift things, and it is certainly convenient to do it with the bucket, rather than hook up/unhookup the boom pole. I am talking about fairly lightweight stuff, less than 200-ish pounds.

So I wrap a log chain around the bucket, and well, you guys know the drill. So having some hooks welded on the bucket would be of great benefit here. My question is - where, how many, and what type (chain hooks, open hooks, schackles, etc)?

There must be some locations that are more advantageous than others.

Has anyone built a hook bar? Like a tooth bar, but mount it on the top lip of the bucket, and it would have various hooks? Crazy, dumb, or did I just give away my retirement plan.:D

Big Al
Do a search on bucket hooks and you will see a ton of different ways to put hooks on the bucket.

/ Bucket Hook(s) Placement #3  
Just put them where there is reinforcement and where the bucket attaches to the FEL hitch. A pic of your bucket and we could point you to those places if not obvious to you. That is not intended to be an insult in any way. :)

And a search will bring up many pics and discussions to help. Grab hooks are great to have.

/ Bucket Hook(s) Placement #4  
Coupla ideas on hooks. The hooks located at the bucket mounts are pretty well re-enforced....and I like the receiver to hook a chain to, or to move trailers. :thumbsup:

And.....yes, some folks have put slots into a piece of angle and bolted to the top of the bucket.....don't count on retiring any time soon. :laughing:

Lotsa threads on hooks....mine are gleaned from what I liked best.

Attachments

• DSCN3719 (Small).JPG
    DSCN3719 (Small).JPG
    66 KB · Views: 847
  • DSCN3720 (Small).JPG
    DSCN3720 (Small).JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 763
  • DSCN3721 (Small).JPG
    DSCN3721 (Small).JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 712
   / Bucket Hook(s) Placement #5  
OH....and my bucket has a full-length 1/4" plate running under the top lip to create a box...or "tube". This serves to re-enforce the receiver. Its hard to see from pics. (Noted so that one does not bend their bucket in the middle with the receiver shown.)

/ Bucket Hook(s) Placement #6  
I use lifting rings that I mounted on my bucket with 5/8" grade #5 bolts. There 15k-18k lbs rated which is overkill. The company I worked for was scrapping a 35000 lb bond jig along with eight of the lifting lugs. I salvaged them and gave all of them away but the three on my bucket. I mounted one in the center on top and one in each cornor inside the bucket.

The lugs are like the one on Gemplers catalog part #162227. I use nylon and steel cable slings along with 5/16" and 3/8" chain so those big rings sure are handy. I drilled the hole by hand. Having 3 and 4 fluted core drills makes drilling large diameter much easier.

/ Bucket Hook(s) Placement #7  
I boxed in a piece of heavy angle iron across top of my bucket and then put 1 hook in middle, and one hook in front of arms on each side.

/ Bucket Hook(s) Placement #8  
I boxed in a piece of heavy angle iron across top of my bucket and then put 1 hook in middle, and one hook in front of arms on each side.

That's how I did it.

/ Bucket Hook(s) Placement #9  
Same here, center the hook with the FEL arms. Caution though, if lifting heavy load sling the load from both hooks to the center of the load like a Y. This way the load is balanced and wont tend to tip your tractor to the side which could really spoil your day. Also I have found that care is needed to make sure a bulky load doesnt swing around and get into your tractors grill. The higher you lift the closer it comes to the tractor, so be careful.

/ Bucket Hook(s) Placement #10  
Safest is center of the bucket.
Weld the hook to a 1/4" or so plate stock, say 4" X 4" and then weld that plate to top of bucket.
That'll work if the bucket has a folded angle on the top edge and if no edge you would need longer backing or as mentioned complete angle added to upper lip.

Careful lifting loads as your center of gravity changes rapidly the higher you lift.
Good technique is to keep your hand on the valve ready for a 'fast dump/decent'