Bucket pallet forks, yay or nay?

/ Bucket pallet forks, yay or nay? #1  

ishiboo

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX6010HSTC, Cat 279c
I have a Gehl 6635, which has a 2400lb operating capacity. I was planning on getting a set of dedicated pallet forks for the quick attach, but there are some 6000lb bucket forks on Craigslist.

Are these any good? They're the Paynes HD's from Northern Tool. I can see that with my bucket and the forks, the load will be about 1.5-2 feet further out from the quick attach.

I do not have a lot to move, they will be used sparingly, but I'd like them to work well and be able to lift 3000lb if necessary as the machine is certainly capable of it.

/ Bucket pallet forks, yay or nay? #2  
I have a Gehl 6635, which has a 2400lb operating capacity. . . I do not have a lot to move, they will be used sparingly, but I'd like them to work well and be able to lift 3000lb if necessary as the machine is certainly capable of it.

I'm confused. Does your machine have a 2400 lb or a 3000 lb capacity? You say it has a 2400 lb capacity and then say it is capable for 3000 lb.:confused:

Without seeing the bucket forks on eBay, I can only say that I have bucket forks and dedicated pallet forks and there is no comparison in the amount I can lift and the flexibility. The dedicated pallet forks are superior in every regard and exceed all your specifications. Mine were $750 new from my dealer and I'm sure you could find a better deal on used pallet forks on eBay or craigslist. It just sounds to me like the 6000 lb forks are probably for a larger capacity loader than you have on your Gehl.

/ Bucket pallet forks, yay or nay?
I'm confused. Does your machine have a 2400 lb or a 3000 lb capacity? You say it has a 2400 lb capacity and then say it is capable for 3000 lb.:confused:

Without seeing the bucket forks on eBay, I can only say that I have bucket forks and dedicated pallet forks and there is no comparison in the amount I can lift and the flexibility. The dedicated pallet forks are superior in every regard and exceed all your specifications. Mine were $750 new from my dealer and I'm sure you could find a better deal on used pallet forks on eBay or craigslist. It just sounds to me like the 6000 lb forks are probably for a larger capacity loader than you have on your Gehl.

The machine is rated for 2400lbs operating. Loaders will lift a lot more safely, the operating capacity assumes you will be lifting stuff 10' in the air while moving to dump in a dump truck/etc. A friend with a smaller machine regularly lifts 5000lb pallets of bricks with his forks.

I would never attempt to lift more than 3000, most loads would be 1500-2000 lbs when I do them, which would be infrequent. The forks are rated for 6k. I'm sure my bucket attachment is capable of far more than the 2400lb operating capacity of the machine too. :)

/ Bucket pallet forks, yay or nay? #4  
I am using nothing but the big square bales to feed now. I had to buy a set of forks. I got a set from this outfit and have not had a problem with them. I also bought a stump bucket at the same time and they had a special on shipping. I think the forks put me back about $500.00. They are not the most expensive and the finish is not the best,but they have done all i have asked of them.

48? Pallet Forks | Gator Attachments

One thing I will caution you about,I really doubt that they will be used sparingly. I use mine all the time. They are great for so many thing that the bucket is not good at. Moving logs,items on a pallet,4x8 sheets of plywood,lumber. I scrap a little and those things make loading scrap on the trailer so much easier. Good luck,once you get a set you will love them.

/ Bucket pallet forks, yay or nay? #5  
If you have a QA loader than use it. Bucket mounted forks will reduce that 2400lb capacity considerably because of how far they will be from the pivot pins. Also bucket forks are a PITA because you can't see them and they always like to move. Don't waste your money...

/ Bucket pallet forks, yay or nay? #6  
If you have a QA loader than use it. Bucket mounted forks will reduce that 2400lb capacity considerably because of how far they will be from the pivot pins. Also bucket forks are a PITA because you can't see them and they always like to move. Don't waste your money...

X2 Couldn't have said it any better.

/ Bucket pallet forks, yay or nay? #7  
Buy the real pallet forks. Used set can be bought for $450-500 in really good shape. The load will be much closer to the skid for much better lift. If your like me, you will find a lot of abuses that require pushing or prying and you will be glad you don't have the clamp on kind.

/ Bucket pallet forks, yay or nay? #8  
hmmm. ive seen new 3000" skid mount bracket pallet forks with back shield and adjustable forks for $900.00 all over the place.

/ Bucket pallet forks, yay or nay? #9  
I pondered this for quite a while trying to decide whether or not I should get my setup converted to QA as my loader was not QA nor my bucket.

Now that I got it done, I can't believe I ever considered getting bucket forks or a bucket hay spear. What a pain that would have been! I switch back and forth between my spear, pallet forks and bucket in seconds. I find myself using the pallet forks and spear WAAAAAY more than I would have ever expected.

Personally I think any dealer who sells someone a tractor without a QA loader kit and QA bucket, where the option exists, should be spanked. I had asked but my dealer did not know that it existed at the time.

/ Bucket pallet forks, yay or nay? #10  
radman1 said:
Buy the real pallet forks. Used set can be bought for $450-500 in really good shape. The load will be much closer to the skid for much better lift. If your like me, you will find a lot of abuses that require pushing or prying and you will be glad you don't have the clamp on kind.

Call 1-800-248-9253. Ask for Kevin C in service. Used forklift forks, huge variety, $50 a pair. No warranty all sales final. Or pm me. Located in South Plainfield, NJ.
Andy