Bug ID

/ Bug ID #1  

RobertBrown

Elite Member
Tractor
Bolens G192/TS1910 Ford/New Holland 1920
IMG_0002.jpgIMG_0003.jpg

I have already identified this one. I know what it is and what it means.
But if you live in the southeast or the subtropics you need to know what this is. I usually don't see them until later in the summer.
I got this pic today in at my place. This is the first one I have ever seen here, I'm sure that there are more.

/ Bug ID
   / Bug ID #4  
Venomous fur? Sounds nasty. We don't have those here, but we do have these pests:
Brown-tail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is an outbreak going on this year. The molted hairs from the caterpillars cause a skin rash. In infested areas the air can have a lot of hairs blowing in the breeze.

/ Bug ID #5  
Geeze!! Fortunately nothing like that around here either. We have tent caterpillars - but that's an entirely different matter.

/ Bug ID #6  
Geeze!! Fortunately nothing like that around here either. We have tent caterpillars - but that's an entirely different matter.
The tent caterpillars are just ramping up here. Sat night I cut one out of a tree and put it in the henhouse, but they didn't show much interest.

Hopefully Dave will keep those browntails down in his neck of the state. ;)

/ Bug ID #7  
Ding! Correct!
....and the college kid gets it right.
Also known as the "Puss Catapillar". This will later become a "Flannel moth"
Megalopyge opercularis
Megalopyge opercularis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
puss caterpillar (larva), southern flannel moth (adult) Megalopyge opercularis
I'm guessing you have been stung by one?
So have I, several times. Not funny!

Yes, we have them here though not as many as in my home town on the coast. Stung once as a child. I was a climber and still am.
tower0.jpg