Build or Buy Skid Steer, wide or narrow?

/ Build or Buy Skid Steer, wide or narrow? #11  
Rent. You’re talking barely half an acre. Why on earth would you go thru the hassle for something that can be done in a day or two if you’re very slow.

Even if it was 5acres I think anything you build would still be way more trouble than it was worth and not to accuse you of hobbling things together but not many people would want a explorer skid steer contraption. You’d be the only one that knew how it worked and would get penny’s on the dollar to what you had in it

Brett

Agreed about the resale price. With the price of the proper hydraulic parts he has no choice except cobble a build like that together. And since it's going to be a cobbled up project I seriously doubt it's going to work very good. I'm not throwing rocks at the builder, just taking into consideration what he has to build with. If you buy a used machine your chances of reselling and recouping most if not all of your money are good. If at all possible I'd spend more than 10k on a nicer machine to reduce the risk of having a piece of crap money pit.

/ Build or Buy Skid Steer, wide or narrow?
Renting isn't going to work, not an option. It is build or buy used, and I said 10k isnt in the budget. I can build something that will work for probably 2k, and if something is cheap enough, people will buy it, but I'm not planning to sell it really, but sometimes plans change.

/ Build or Buy Skid Steer, wide or narrow? #13  
Why isn't renting an option?

When you said that buying used for $10,000 isn't in the cards, do you realize that for that amount, you are looking at a worn out, gonna break down, money pit?

If you think you can build one for $2,000 grand, are you buying anything for this, or do you already have a collection of stuff laying around that you plan on using? What will you have to buy?

Do you have any experience working dirt?

Do you have any experience running a skid steer?

In my experience, it takes a large skid steer to accomplish any significant dirt work. It's a all around tool that isn't very good at anything specific, but easy to transport and capable of most things with enough time and skill.

/ Build or Buy Skid Steer, wide or narrow? #14  
Why isn't renting an option?

When you said that buying used for $10,000 isn't in the cards, do you realize that for that amount, you are looking at a worn out, gonna break down, money pit?

If you think you can build one for $2,000 grand, are you buying anything for this, or do you already have a collection of stuff laying around that you plan on using? What will you have to buy?

Do you have any experience working dirt?

Do you have any experience running a skid steer?

In my experience, it takes a large skid steer to accomplish any significant dirt work. It's a all around tool that isn't very good at anything specific, but easy to transport and capable of most things with enough time and skill.

When he mentioned the truck axels I assumed the whole thing is going to be a cobbled up piece of junk. Unless he already has virtually all the hydraulics parts and a motor there's no way he'll come out for 2k.

/ Build or Buy Skid Steer, wide or narrow? #15  
I wonder if an older larger tractor with a bucket wouldn't be capable of everything he wants to do...? I regularly see an assortment of Farmalls and Ford 8n/9n/2n/2000s in my local craigslist.

/ Build or Buy Skid Steer, wide or narrow? #16  
When he mentioned the truck axels I assumed the whole thing is going to be a cobbled up piece of junk. Unless he already has virtually all the hydraulics parts and a motor there's no way he'll come out for 2k.

I was trying to insinuate this but in a more tactful manner but sometime being direct is more useful. However, I can稚 imagine this turning out successful and being reliable or productive

Brett

/ Build or Buy Skid Steer, wide or narrow? #17  
I was trying to insinuate this but in a more tactful manner but sometime being direct is more useful. However, I can稚 imagine this turning out successful and being reliable or productive

Brett

I couldn't think of a way to put it gently. My opinion is probably clear by now so I'll try to refrain from further comment.

Great, I guess the collective wisdom here has shifted since I rebuilt my Case tractor to have electronic fuel injected controls.
The DIY capable crowd has gone somewhere else?

/ Build or Buy Skid Steer, wide or narrow? #19  
I'm a DIY fan, but sometimes it's not a practical opinion. I have no idea what parts you have and don't have, but have you done a careful parts list and price check? I'm thinking unless your junk pile is 90 percent complete you're going to go over budget quick. I've kicked around the idea of a mini excavator build. I've got all the guts of a skid steer that the scrap monster ate quite a bit of free scrap steel an unlimited supply of 25 cents a pound steel and I can't come out ahead on the project. Maybe if I found a junked backhoe boom and settled for wheels instead of tracks I'd be close to the budget of this project.

Do a search and see what people have built, a skidsteer was built for $2000 using new surplus hydraulic parts.

There is a Case 580 parts fel/backhoe for $500 on CL here.
Here is the parts to start with a fel for $250.. 8N tractor hyd. bucket lift unit - farm & garden - by owner - sale
Or another for $500.. 00T0T_iGMWW4KdUOa_600x450.jpg
Complete FEL for $3k.
1959 Ford Tractor - farm & garden - by owner - sale

Attachments

• 00303_eyug2XG6R5c_600x450.jpg
    00303_eyug2XG6R5c_600x450.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 73