Building a barn to live in- interesting article

/ Building a barn to live in- interesting article #1  

jmc

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford 1920 4x4 (traded in on Kubota). Case 480F TLB w/4 in 1 bucket, 4x4. Gehl CTL60 tracked loader, Kubota L4330 GST

What is a Barndominium?

Snip .....

"Blending the words “barn” and “condominium,” it is exactly what it sounds like: a barn that has been converted into a low cost living space – or a house plan purposely designed as living space but with barn-like storage and working spaces associated with it.

For those looking for a unique home with plenty of room plus space to work and get dirty, this style might be right up your alley."

/ Building a barn to live in- interesting article #2  
Barndominiums have been popular in Texas for several years and gaining more fans daily. Many conventional homes get metal roofs.

/ Building a barn to live in- interesting article #3  
Many do it here in MI in rural areas. Build a pole barn....have it tax sasessed as a barn. Then finish part of the interior into a living area.

/ Building a barn to live in- interesting article #4  
I always thought a condominium was like an apartment and barndominium doesn't really fit as all of the buildings like that around here are owned by the property owner and are nothing like a condominium. We call them barn houses around here.

/ Building a barn to live in- interesting article #5  
Popular here while building a home, the general plan is to live in it for a year while building, the reality is a lot are still occupied afer 10 years with no sign of a house.

/ Building a barn to live in- interesting article #6  
We bought one last year
Second home for now

40x60 building.
half barn/half house.
Non conventional mortgage
Homeowners insurance was tricky.
We do love it though!

Attachments

• 092CC940-7176-41AD-9C06-6470519A5A65.jpeg
    092CC940-7176-41AD-9C06-6470519A5A65.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 114
  • F24E9E6F-4972-47C3-993F-010D65CF0BC7.jpeg
    F24E9E6F-4972-47C3-993F-010D65CF0BC7.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 122
   / Building a barn to live in- interesting article #7  
I attempted to do it back in 93 but I needed financing and nobody would touch it. My problem was being honest about my intentions. I should have just sought a loan to build a barn.

/ Building a barn to live in- interesting article #8  
The -dominuim part doesn't work since that implies a multiple family structure.

Years back ... a lot of years ..., This Old (and super expensive) House did a barn to house conversion. First shots were of a traditional wooden barn built decades earlier. I thought they were going to do a relatively simple renovation of the loft area. They ended up doing almost a full tear down except for the main posts and beams and even some of those were modified.

Guy not too far from here did one over the last few years. Started out with a very old wooden barn adding a living quarters to the back end of it over looking the fields. Put up a nice big deck off the upper part/second floor. Been working on it for close to ten years now. Don't know him so haven't stopped in to ask anything about it.

/ Building a barn to live in- interesting article #9  
If you believe in insurance make sure it is updated regularly. A barndominium nearby burned. Structure was 66~75% destroyed. It was insured as a barn. The owner is slowly picking through the ruins trying to salvage whatever can be salvaged to recover losses. I presume the $$ lost was greater than the 66~75% structure damage.

/ Building a barn to live in- interesting article #10  
At least out here if you permitted and built it as a ‘non accessory storage building’ or in non code parlance ‘a barn, shed, shop or other non living space’ and then converted it to a partial or full living space you’d be setting yourself up for claim denial if you ever had a loss.

I originally planned to permit and build a shop building with living space but due to significant additional costs associated with the ‘living space’ code requirements and time pressure related to an idiotic water rights legal decision I ended up permitting and building the ‘non accessory storage building’ with a full bathroom instead.