building a earthen bridge

/ building a earthen bridge #1  

BenA

Tractor
Kubota B7800, FEL, box blade
I presently have to ford a creek to get on my property. I can not pull my equipment trailer through the creek because it drags too badly. Does anyone know where I can find some info on building an earthen/rock bridge. I thought I would get some of the heavy gauge black plastic culvert about 24" diameter to lay in the bottom of the creek. However, I do not know the best materials to use from that point. I guess some fist size rock might be put inbetween and on top of the pipe, then some smaller gravel on that. I just want to get some info on it to be sure about what to use so it won't get washed away with the first rain. Thanks.

/ building a earthen bridge #2  
Make sure your tube has a smooth liner on the inside. Stops the skeeters and keeps sediment from being trapped in the grooves. Been there!

/ building a earthen bridge #3  
Do a search and look for culverts and the like. You will, I'm certain, get all the answers to your questions.
One bit of advice I have found to be true from the postings of the TBN Brother and Sisterhood is ,,,,,if you are thinking a 24 inch will do, then put in a 36 inch.
I wish I had had that advice that before I installed mine.

/ building a earthen bridge #4  
Creeks and culverts are a very tricky situation. You run into several problems. First, if determining how big it needs to be. This is determined by the worse case scenerio. Do not make the mistake of figureing what it will handle during a heavy rain, that's not nearly enough. Remember this, the experts, cities, highway departments have years and years of experience at this, and they are always replacing washed out culverts.

You don't need rock around our culvert. Clean dirt or sand works great. The idea is to get is compacted evenly on both sides. Compaction is what gives teh culvert it's strenghth. What you need to protect your fill material and keep your culvert in place is a headwall. That can be built up of lots of rock that't too big to wash away during a heavey storm, or sacks of concrete stacked on each other, or concrete poured into a solid wall. If water can get past the pipe, it will wash out your culvert. Since it never stops trying, 24/7, it will succeed unless you do it right.

The other option is a wet crossing, or a combination of a smaller culvert with a wet crossing on top of it. If you put in a small culvert that will handle the day to day water flow, then pour concrete along the sides and top so that water can flow over it when you have heavy rains, that wold also work. It's not as simple as it sounds because the water will eat out all the supporting material around the concrete over the years unless you dig down your footings really deep. I've never done this, but have seen it done on others ranches. Some have failed because they cut a corner, others are working just fine. You just have to realize that on heavy rains, you cannot cross the creek.

Buy the next larger culvert then you will ever need and pray that you are right. Whatever it costs, it's cheaper then having to redo it again.

Eddie

/ building a earthen bridge #5  
Eddie, You are actually building another gravity dam but with larger and lower overflow pipe(s).

When you worst case the flow be a tad lavish and give yourself more cross section in the drain pipes.

In a flood event if the bridge/dam temporarily holds back some water but does not have water flowing over the top AND your dirt is high enough above the height of the water to provide sufficient down force you will be OK.

An alternative is to split the difference. Design for expected flows (through the drain pipes) but prepare for overflow over the bridge by shotcrete or other anti-erosion coating on at least the downstream side. The downstream side generates destructive turbulence which causes rapid erosion.

The dam of one of my smaller ponds (in a chain of ponds) has a 30 inch culvert under my driveway which crosses that dam. Even in the wettest year on record I never saw the culvert much over 1/2 full. I have no overflow swale for this pond as the dam is the driveway. I had all the redi-crete trucks use the back side of the dam for their cleanout dump area so it ended up with considerable concrete coverage which will armor that backside against the erosion of an overflow event should we get one. The crete has been on the ground over 3 years and is lasting just fine so far even with my driving a tractor on it frequently.

Pat

/ building a earthen bridge
Thanks for your suggestions, and you are likely right about going to larger culvert than what I think I need. The creek is probably about 12 feet wide with the road (more like a path) sloping down to it on both sides. I will have to put several pieces of culvert side to side to make the width. I may need to use some 3 foot diameter for the main body of the creek and some 2 foot diameter on the outer edges for when the water get higher. Thanks again for your ideas and I will likely post a picture before starting to see if anyone has thoughts to add.

/ building a earthen bridge #7  
a suggestion
Try the forest service website
out here they are always involved in maintaining roads thru the national forests and keeping them up for logging and general access.
it will take some wading thru their sites but the info is there
Don

/ building a earthen bridge #8  
I've never done this myself, but from what I hear, if you use multiple pipes, space them far enough apart that you can compact the fill between them, all around the pipe. I think one of our members did some multiple pipes laid side-by-side and the fill wasn't compacted between, underneath. That's right where the water wants to go!

Keep us posted, and of course, we love pics of projects like this!

/ building a earthen bridge #9  
Whatever you build, build it to withstand water flowing over it. Last summer we had horrific flooding around here and I saw first hand where 8' and 12' culverts were washed out and were actually moved 1/2mile down stream. I saw three of these and I'm sure there were more. Everyone will think your crazy while you're building it but some day you'll be happily driving home while they're staring at their driveway with a huge hole in it. Even a little water is an incredibly formidable force!

/ building a earthen bridge #10  
BenA said:
Thanks for your suggestions, and you are likely right about going to larger culvert than what I think I need. The creek is probably about 12 feet wide with the road (more like a path) sloping down to it on both sides. I will have to put several pieces of culvert side to side to make the width. I may need to use some 3 foot diameter for the main body of the creek and some 2 foot diameter on the outer edges for when the water get higher. Thanks again for your ideas and I will likely post a picture before starting to see if anyone has thoughts to add.

Before you start, I'd recommend you run your plan past the Water Resource Board...In Vermont, anything we do near a waterway has to to be blessed by the Staties...:eek: