Building an A frame type hoist.

/ Building an A frame type hoist. #1  

ENC

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4600
I am going to build an A frame type hoist. I have a couple I beams seen in the picture.
IMG_20130927_164836_987.jpg

I am not asking anyone to accept any liability and I have an understanding of the bracing needed on the legs and the cross structure. What I am trying to get an idea of the load rating for the pictured beam at various lengths. The beams I have are 14 feet long but was hoping to have 10 feet of use able overhead and drive through.

Thanks for any advice.

If the con census is get a bigger beam then so be it.

/ Building an A frame type hoist. #2  
Picture is kind of poor, you need to know the height (cant tell if that is 6" or 8") and the web/flange thickness and flange width if it is H beam or I beam.
There are many on line beam charts that will tell you span and weight ratings.

Mark

/ Building an A frame type hoist. #3  
Beams are rated by size, shape and weight per foot. The first step is to identify what you have. From there determine your rating at whatever span you are considering.

/ Building an A frame type hoist.
Sorry about the quality it is has some other "project" supplies on top. It is 10 inches tall and 2.75 inches wide the thickness is about a quarter inch on the narrow part and 3/16 on the web.

/ Building an A frame type hoist. #5  
My best suggestion for a better pic is remove the shadows. It looks like someone was standing in the way, or maybe just your arm holding the tape measure, and was blocking the light and casting partial shadows on it. From the pic if I had to guess it's about 10" x 3" x 1/4"

/ Building an A frame type hoist. #6  
Maybe one of the M10 beams.

M Shapes

Bruce

/ Building an A frame type hoist. #8  
Ok, it's an M10X9. I'll see what I find about a 10' span.

/ Building an A frame type hoist.
My best suggestion for a better pic is remove the shadows. It looks like someone was standing in the way, or maybe just your arm holding the tape measure, and was blocking the light and casting partial shadows on it. From the pic if I had to guess it's about 10" x 3" x 1/4"
Yeah it was my arm I will try to excavate a piece tomorrow.
Maybe one of the M10 beams.

M Shapes

Bruce
I think you are correct looking at your link

/ Building an A frame type hoist. #10  
I found a free beam calculator but it only had W shapes. I put in W10X12, so the weight per foot is close. I put in a 10,000 lb load in the center of a 10' span and it passed. Free Beam Sizer - Step 6 of 6