Building of a small pole barn

/ Building of a small pole barn #1  

rimshot

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2510 HST
I have a Kioti CK 20 (s) with a backhoe and I have a nice little chunk of wooded property. I need some storage and have decided to make a road back into the woods and clear out a spot for a small tractor cave, I have built plenty of structures with concrete foundations so this time I will do a pole barn. This one will measure 28 x 28' and have 10' sidewalls to accomodate a 16' x 9' overhead garage door.

I know that I could likely do a garage slab and stick build for nearly the same price but I believe this will move right along once started. I have a 3/0 exterior door that I salvaged from my house after changing to a full view door. This door has a diamond frame design and is in pretty good shape.

I am going to hire the labor out but in my day I always built for myself trading labor with friends. $4900 was the builders quote to erect the building which will have trusses (70 lb snow load for snow country) on 4' centers and probably 2 -3 vinyl slider windows. Does anybody believe I will need more light because I don't plan on wiring this thing? I will also have a 4'' concrete floor and be sure to include 4 mil visquine to help keep condensation in check.

I have given the builder a good start by erecting batter boards for a nice square start and have installed four corner posts of wolmanized 6" x 6" Red Pine. I am using 12'' x 8'' thick concrete cookies for footings and due to the course gravel at the site had to get down 42" deep using my backhoe. Three point drills don't work so good in this course gravel.

I plan on documenting the progress. I took a lot of trees down and dug about twenty stumps for this project. Here are a couple pictures. Stay tuned. I am all ears and welcome any comments and criticisms.

Rimshot

Attachments

• HPIM5487 (Large).JPG
    HPIM5487 (Large).JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 379
  • HPIM5489 (Large).JPG
    HPIM5489 (Large).JPG
    186.5 KB · Views: 304
  • HPIM5497 (Large).JPG
    HPIM5497 (Large).JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 530
   / Building of a small pole barn #2  
Is this on the same property you are now living on? Keep the pics coming. A fair chuck of our property is clay and sometimes I wish we had gravel like yours. As far as light goes if you are in the woods I would think unless you are having a sunny day it may get a bit dark in there. That depends on all the stuff that will end up getting stored there. Maybe a small portable generator may be needed if you are doing some work there in winter or at night.

/ Building of a small pole barn
Is this on the same property you are now living on? Keep the pics coming. A fair chuck of our property is clay and sometimes I wish we had gravel like yours. As far as light goes if you are in the woods I would think unless you are having a sunny day it may get a bit dark in there. That depends on all the stuff that will end up getting stored there. Maybe a small portable generator may be needed if you are doing some work there in winter or at night.

======================

Hi Mousefield,

Yes, the pole building will be at my residence about 300' from my house. I would have loved to build the structure with red as the main panel color but I think in this setting I will go with green bulkheads so it blends in with the woods,

I was going to include that my local lumber yard was close enough in price to to get the bid. The Lowe's and Home Depots initial quotes were actually $1000 to $1500 dollars higher than the $6200 the local dealer quoted for the complete package with one foot of overhang on both gable and eve. I believe Lowe,s and HD might just expect since they are quite often side by side and that customers get quotes from those two mega giants simultaneously. Then they hope the customer comes in and they quick offer 10% to seal the deal having that figure already figured into the price.

That little tractor is sure handy for this project from clearing the stumps to setting long posts.

rim

/ Building of a small pole barn #4  
I would recommend that you put light panels (in picture below on left near top) in your building like I did which provides a good bit of light during the day.

finish5.jpg

I would recommend that you put light panels (in picture below on left near top) in your building like I did which provides a good bit of light during the day.

=======================

Light Panels, great idea but didn't I see some discussion sometime ago about the material light panels are made up from not holding up?

Another point for those (like me) who have to use a backhoe to dig footings rather than a drill. When I set my batter boards they were pretty close to m backhoe excavation area. A good way to avoid extra excavation and refill area beneath future concrete floor is to dig them with a 12" bucket and do so at a 45* angle to building lines. This limits disturbed soil beneath concrete to very corner. The building inspector allowed me to place pre cast 8" X 12" concrete cookies beneath posts rather than pour concrete. Those five gallon pails or 12" plastic planting pots that you get your bushes in work great for forms if you want to make your own cookies. With this in mind however it's not really going to save you money. One sack of ready mix does it but it costs the same in my area to just buy the pre cast footing or cookie.

rimshot

Attachments

• HPIM5515 (Large).JPG
    HPIM5515 (Large).JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 360
  • HPIM5518 (Large).JPG
    HPIM5518 (Large).JPG
    101 KB · Views: 666
  • HPIM5516 (Large).JPG
    HPIM5516 (Large).JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
   / Building of a small pole barn #6  
Light Panels -
My guess would be if they are under a bit of overhang and on the east and west sides of the building, they would last a lot longer than if in the roof. I think sunlight is what kills them.

Trees -
I would make sure to remove any trees that could blow over onto the building or have a lean toward the building. Getting air and light onto a building is a good thing.

Lighting -
Maybe check out those solar barn/shed lights. I think they use a 12vdc light bulb, not sure. With a 12v battery, you could have a bit of light at night too.

Dave

/ Building of a small pole barn #7  
Trees -
I would make sure to remove any trees that could blow over onto the building or have a lean toward the building. Getting air and light onto a building is a good thing.
Absolutely great advice - when I built my pad I should have cleared at least another 30' or more on three of the sides.

On the north side original grade is about 4' above the pad, and trees are only cleared about 20' away from the barn ....

I'm now having to go back and remove additional trees ..... it would be a lot easier if there was no barn there ..... :mur:

Another thing is, if you plan on gutters for the barn make sure you clear the tree back far enough that they aren't dumping tons of leaves into the gutters (ask me how I know this ...)

/ Building of a small pole barn #8  

=======================

Light Panels, great idea but didn't I see some discussion sometime ago about the material light panels are made up from not holding up?

rimshot

I have them at the top my walls in my barn and at 9 years they look about the same as when purchased. I do have 18" overhangs on the eaves.

I have them at the top my walls in my barn and at 9 years they look about the same as when purchased. I do have 18" overhangs on the eaves.
=============================

Looks like this will be a must. This pole barn will have a foot of overhang and that should be safe haven for light panels.

/ Building of a small pole barn #10  
I am not sure where you live in Michigan but 1 foot of overhang would not cut it up here near Marquette where we get 15 to 30 feet of snow a year. I was surprised at how much snow I had leaning against my building on one side this last spring with a 2 foot overhang on all 4 sides. Fortunately it didn't do any damage, or leak.

My light panels are on the north side, and with a 2 foot overhang, they should not be subject to sun damage.