Building Pad on hilltop - perimeter clearance

/ Building Pad on hilltop - perimeter clearance #11  
I assume that you have discarded the idea of bulldozing a larger area, so my advice is that with the site chosen, think about how the house plan interacts with the surroundings;
  • Where is the access to the house, relative to the decks, and interior layout?
  • Where are the views from inside the house? (E.g How is the view from the kitchen sink?)
From that are there changes you want in floor plans, or home orientation? My folks designed a couple of homes with great views from the living room, kitchen and master bedroom. It is what they valued. What does your daughter value? Sometimes a discussion or two with an experienced architect can really help.

x2 on the advice for a whole house surge protector and a real set of lightning rods and grounds.

All the best,

Peter

/ Building Pad on hilltop - perimeter clearance
Ponytug, thanks for info. Actually, we have been planning the build for a couple of years and we have lived here for 36 years so are very familiar with just about every corner of the 90 acres. We have considered just about every aspect of the build over and over and so selected the site, the orientation of the pad on the hill, the orientation of the house on the pad, what trees to leave, what to take out, where everything needs to be (well, power lines, septic, propane, out buildings and more). A very important part of it all was selecting a plan with "view' windows and a deck/porch facing the mountain range and overlooking the valley like area where our home is located. Every plan we looked at had to have the ability to achieve that particular alignment.

There were other considerations - a CalFire compliant road to the site (with adequate turn around) and grade, location of a separate pavilion with a somewhat different view, a second access road, fencing and landscaping considerations (I drug huge boulders near the site using round poles - the Egyptian way), and we have planned for areas for a kennel and more. And, on earlier plans we did check out the view we would have from the kitchen - and wanted to size that window appropriately, but I don't think I rechecked that on the last plan we focused on - will do so.

I am comfortable we have considered most things - and know the alignment of it all - but was not sure how much clearance I should have on the front and back - it looks like I will have about 12 feet on each side after staking it today and remeasuring - that is with a depth east to west of 30 feet plus a 10-12 foot deck/porch. Now that I have thought about it a bit more, whatever plan we choose will be limited pretty much to the 30 + 12 width.

Again, my thanks for weighing in. It is a process for sure, but nice to work on it with my daughter - she is uber deserving.

/ Building Pad on hilltop - perimeter clearance #13  
I don't know about any concerns you might have about wildfires. Here it is a MAJOR late summer concern. I have a 200 foot green perimeter around my house. I consider this might give me sufficient time to grab my "go bag" and boogie as a wildfire approaches.

Insurance policies will cover any wildfire losses.

I see the wind causing "fire bombs" being propelled up a quarter mile in front of a wildfire. My puny 200 foot green perimeter would NOT stop any wildfire.

/ Building Pad on hilltop - perimeter clearance #14  
How big a turnaround does CalFire want you to build?

My county wants a 40x48 turnaround, 12' wide roads that can handle a 75,000lb fire truck, and turnounts on the road ever 400'. They keep increasing the requirements. Not long ago it was 32x32 turnarounds and turnouts every 800'. County fire now wants 14' wide roads in some places.

It'd be good to get your plans approved before your county adopts PRC4291. That's Cal Fire's new set of requirements. My county adopted it in draft form. I think they enjoy making it difficult and expensive for people to build. It's been used to deny a number of projects that people thought they could build when they bought the parcel.

/ Building Pad on hilltop - perimeter clearance #15  
Is there any software these days that would allow you to visualize what it would look like when her home is completed to your current building plans on this site?

/ Building Pad on hilltop - perimeter clearance #16  
Ok fire risk post: Given the fire risk of a home on a forrest hilltop, have you thought about having a seamless metal roof, with no gutters and/or steel roll down shutters over the windows and doors?

Around the house, I would think about ways to push anything but grass or rock to beyond the pad dimensions, and I would think about removing brush and laddering up the trees below your pad. The house will be most vulnerable when it is incomplete.

How does fire fighting water get to the house under some sort of pressure? A TBN member (@Rip? IIRC) here had a system with a nitrogen pressurized fiberglass tank in his garage that could foam the exterior of the house in seconds. IIRC, he had nearly been burned out in three different fires over the years. I seem to recall that put in a series of concrete vaults (septic tanks?) piped together to provide for rainwater storage and fire usage that also extended the flat area a bit.

All the best,

Peter

Ok fire risk post: Given the fire risk of a home on a forrest hilltop, have you thought about having a seamless metal roof, with no gutters and/or steel roll down shutters over the windows and doors?

Around the house, I would think about ways to push anything but grass or rock to beyond the pad dimensions, and I would think about removing brush and laddering up the trees below your pad. The house will be most vulnerable when it is incomplete.

How does fire fighting water get to the house under some sort of pressure? A TBN member (@Rip? IIRC) here had a system with a nitrogen pressurized fiberglass tank in his garage that could foam the exterior of the house in seconds. IIRC, he had nearly been burned out in three different fires over the years. I seem to recall that put in a series of concrete vaults (septic tanks?) piped together to provide for rainwater storage and fire usage that also extended the flat area a bit.

All the best,

Peter
Ponytug, all good questions. The roof will be metal - I have not thought about what seamless might mean - will check that out. I was also checking out Hardiboard siding or something similar - or some stucco with faux rock facade - we don't want wood. They do want some faux rock as it would fit in well with location and landscaping. I never considered roll down shutters and likely would not do that.

There will be a lot of gravel, DG, and landscaping with boulders and large rocks - we have plenty of those - all sizes. I checked out a rooftop spinkler system (exterior) tied to a booster pump and capable of being operated by a generator - I was thinking about that for my house - but may think about it for theirs as well - and even found a company selling those but it seemed I could make better ones - I think theirs were about $180 each. I was looking at the oscillating rainbirds or misters. Seems doable. I did not get very for with that other than a design. The plan was - if there was ever any fire issue where embers could float in - to turn it on periodically - the local fire guys told me floating embers falling in gutters with dry leaves is one of the major causes of house fires in rural areas. Of course, we would have to be here to turn it on.

Their house is mandated to have a spinkler system - not sure what kind yet.

On the positive side, the local fire department is 6 miles down the highway with no stops in between. When they were out a couple of years ago they said the way I had cleared things out around the perimeter of the main 'compound' made it totally defensible. And they told me my location and the slope of the hills behind us would also be a help with how the fire would run. Again - that was about the main house. We use cattle and goats as well in areas fenced around the outside - two weeks ago we put fencing for the goats around a huge additional area - and now I am extending that farther - had to stop when I could not get more fencing. And I scrape any other areas down to a moonscape. I will have to see what I could do on the hilltop. I am very fire-risk mitigation minded - thinking through what needs to be done every year when things begin to brown up. Last week the propane delivery guy commented how clean the hills had been grazed down, how little the fire risk was here, and mentioned that some places he goes to would go up instantly with tall grass right against the houses.

For their place, I bought two 3,000 gallon tanks with a hydrant plumbed per CalFire specs - so they can instantly connect to that - they require 2,500 gallons dedicated to fire fighting use. The way that the house sprinklers will be plumbed will be so that a booster pump on top of the well pad can be operated either by line-in power, or if that is out, by generator. The access road we cut (one of two) was to CalFire specs - with a required turn out and topside turnaround area - but the grade on one part is beyond 13% so will have to pave that section.

There is still a lot to think about as we get this all done - we will be at it for a long time.

Thanks for responding.

/ Building Pad on hilltop - perimeter clearance #18  
@beowulf That sounds like you have the fire aspects well in hand! That is great. It is really a solid plus to be so close to your fire department and have them sign off on the site, and your maintenance of the area. It speaks very highly of what you have been doing.

My bad! I had a brain fart on the metal roof. I meant a standing seam metal roof. It has more of the roof area smooth, and the seal between adjacent panels is quite broad. With more smooth area, embers, leaves etc. don't accumulate on the roof. I would also try to have as few obstructions (vents, chimneys, dormers), as possible, as they are all places where the slope will change on the roof (valleys), and accumulate litter and embers. Some AHJs allow internal venting of pipes (one way, to the outside), and horizontal exhausts for things like bathroom fans. If you don't do gutters, I think that you will want the roof to extend farther to help keep water away from the walls of the house, and to a lesser extent, given your site, the foundation. But no gutters is one fewer place for embers to land and cause a problem.

I don't know what your water quality is like, but most sprinkler systems around here have used black iron, which gets corroded pretty quickly. A few years ago, our AHJ began to allow the use of PEX (PEX-Al-PEX sandwich) for sprinkler systems which is much more resistant to corrosion and water leaks.

All the best,

Peter

@beowulf That sounds like you have the fire aspects well in hand! That is great. It is really a solid plus to be so close to your fire department and have them sign off on the site, and your maintenance of the area. It speaks very highly of what you have been doing.

My bad! I had a brain fart on the metal roof. I meant a standing seam metal roof. It has more of the roof area smooth, and the seal between adjacent panels is quite broad. With more smooth area, embers, leaves etc. don't accumulate on the roof. I would also try to have as few obstructions (vents, chimneys, dormers), as possible, as they are all places where the slope will change on the roof (valleys), and accumulate litter and embers. Some AHJs allow internal venting of pipes (one way, to the outside), and horizontal exhausts for things like bathroom fans. If you don't do gutters, I think that you will want the roof to extend farther to help keep water away from the walls of the house, and to a lesser extent, given your site, the foundation. But no gutters is one fewer place for embers to land and cause a problem.

I don't know what your water quality is like, but most sprinkler systems around here have used black iron, which gets corroded pretty quickly. A few years ago, our AHJ began to allow the use of PEX (PEX-Al-PEX sandwich) for sprinkler systems which is much more resistant to corrosion and water leaks.

All the best,

Peter
Again, Peter, thanks for the information - all very useful and welcome. We should be able to follow your advice re the roof and obstructions as it is a fairly simple design. I use goats where the tractor cannot safely go to create fire breaks, and basically scrape away the areas around the home area. Some years the cows and goats take it down enough - and early enough - that I don't have to do much of that - other years I jump on it and move the animals beyond where I scrape. Some pics of areas outside of home area I cleared this year.

Attachments

• IMG_2741.JPG
    IMG_2741.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2730 (2).JPG
    IMG_2730 (2).JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2739.JPG
    IMG_2739.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 45