Built a new diesel tank dealio…

/ Built a new diesel tank dealio… #1  

Hersheyfarm

Veteran Member
Built a new diesel tank dealio…or put one together. Had 50 gallon tank forever but lately just tired of alway running out. I like them to be portable and I use battery clamps so whatever I’m filling up I just use it’s battery.

The new one is a 100 gallon. On a side note went with a fill rite 15gpm. Seems good but it’s pretty strong. My old one is gpi and not sure what gpm is but it a little less I think.

Anyways, I was thinking of selling the 50 gallon but started thinking maybe use it for gas. My question is how safe are the 12volt transfer pumps with gas? I don’t use gas much other than power washer, mower, generator, and atv/dirt bikes.(guess that actually a lot)
I could clean it out and use it for gas.

What’s the 411 on 12 volt transfers?

Here’s some pics..
121DA4D3-270B-4C3F-987A-C72C89E29049.jpeg
03C4269A-5785-4D82-8957-FC41B711332A.jpeg
BB8C8A88-B0D8-4C86-862E-080E93FCDF67.jpeg
19399AC2-B874-4C14-83CB-DFA67C74DD4F.jpeg
673619E2-53D0-4723-8D20-A95F2C6A0C0C.jpeg

/ Built a new diesel tank dealio… #2  
Your new Fill Rite pump is rated for gasoline, and most of the GPI pumps I looked at are also. I suspect your biggest concern would be the clamp on 12v battery cables creating a spark around potential vapors.
That said, I have never noted any sparks when I hook up my diesel transfer pump, though I'm sure it would if the pump switch was on while hooking up to the battery. I say confirm your model GPI is rated for gasoline, and just be careful with the clamps.

When I was storing and using 55 gallons of gas I used a GPI hand cranking pump.

/ Built a new diesel tank dealio…
Ok, ill have to look up the model. Its about 15 years old i think and the sticker is rough. As far as the spark, the clamps would be far away from the tank when using.,

/ Built a new diesel tank dealio… #4  
Cool idea. If I were closer, I'd buy that smaller one. I'm not certain on that one, but most diesel transfer tanks state that they are not DOT rated to haul gas.

/ Built a new diesel tank dealio… #5  
Cool idea. If I were closer, I'd buy that smaller one. I'm not certain on that one, but most diesel transfer tanks state that they are not DOT rated to haul gas.
It is a cute little tank! I am like you, would like to own one about that size. I just don't use one enough to warrant the cost of it. I am less than a mile from a station with diesel and even closer for gas. On a long trip hauling my trailer, it would be nice not to have to stop as often for fuel, but if the Wife is along, we stop at every other rest area, or so it seems, lol.

/ Built a new diesel tank dealio… #6  

Hersheyfarm, I've got the same concern also. I have a 50 gallon tank and am wanting to use it for gasoline instead of diesel. I would be using a 120v electric pump though. My tank is a smaller cube version of your new 100 gallon tank. Let me know if you try it or maybe someone will chime in on it for us.

/ Built a new diesel tank dealio… #8  
Unless tank states for flammable fuel, don't do it! Most tanks are for combustible fuels. Plus most states limit the amount of gasoline you're allowed to transport in a portable tank. Check DOT and local laws concerning transportation of gasoline.

/ Built a new diesel tank dealio… #9  
I have a 500 gallon farm tank I bought from the local Co Op years ago. it's self contained and bermed and has a 110 volt fuel pump.

/ Built a new diesel tank dealio… #10  
If transferring gas make sure you have proper grounding between tank and equipment. Fuel flowing can cause static.