Burn Pile near catastrophe

/ Burn Pile near catastrophe #21  
I work for the CDF (California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection). This type of thing happens ALLOT (I know that doesnt make you feel any better but you handled it well). Usually out here the debris burn escapes dont get "put out" by the land owner and/or a single local fire engine. They often require many, many engines, dozers, and (the REALLY expensive component) aircraft. If the land owner/responsible person at least TRIED to act responsively and was using SOME common sense while burning he/she will either get no fine or only a small percentage of the suppression cost. However if gross negligence is found they can get a "Jaw dropping, life altering" bill for our suppresion costs.

Looking at the pictures, if I would have come out to your place to put it out I would have said "dont worry about it, thats what were here for, you did fine, lesson learned".

Hutch

/ Burn Pile near catastrophe #22  
When I bought my place last year ( 82 acres in the Ozarks), I had a daunting task of cleaning up a lot of timber tops left over from a lumber clearing that the previous landowner left. He took his profits and left a mess. With the help of members of this board, I was able to get the right tools to help with the cleanup.

Dad and I are having "memorable moments" in this endeavor. Practice safe burning techniques, and always have someone with you during the burn.

Pay attention to winds and ground conditions. Keep the margin of error on your side.

/ Burn Pile near catastrophe #23  
My burn pile is at the edge of my woods. Probably should consider relocating it. :)

I have had the fire department out 3 times for burns that got out of control. Frankly, it is a volunteer unit and they really seem to appreciate the training. The time it was most serious I had glowing embers in the tops of trees. I apologized to the fire chief for my misque. He said, "No big deal. I would rather come out at 9:00 (PM) and put out this fire than at 2:00 (AM) to try to save the woods." After the third trip out in as many years, he did ask if I could schedule my burns for the third Monday of the month when they had training scheduled anyway.

/ Burn Pile near catastrophe #24  
Doc_Bob said:
I had a 20 feet dirt border plus 3 inches of rain soaked ground.
Bob

We all know the ground doesn't burn but burning after a rain make us think it's better. The dirt border is huge but even if the grass is wet (and close) the heat will dry it out in no time and it'll burn. So I think burning after a rain is mostly for some flying ember protection. I think the wind is the bigest gotcha. It can come up any time, day, morning, night. If you can get it past that initial "huge flame" burn down then you are usually ok.

My dad let one go one time and started moving across a dead coastal field. I pulled a log over the edge with my truck and beat it out.

/ Burn Pile near catastrophe #25  
n8wrl said:
I've had one too many scares myself. Three rules at our house now - there has to be VERY little wind, the hose has to be down there and ON, and we ONLY burn next to the pond.

Knocking on wood now...

-Brian

Sounds like it might be a good job for a plow... as in fire break....

Soundguy

/ Burn Pile near catastrophe #26  
I can tell you I have had two close calls myself. My barn roof is STILL not replaced after the first time I had a scary fire incident. It was a VERY calm spring day when my FIL and I decided it was time to burn off the pile of cedar branches I had trimmed off. By pile I mean 20 ft in diameter and 7 ft high. AFter about a half hour of calm burning I went into grab a soda (pop around here lol) Keep in mind the hose is running the whole time as a precaution. I come back out of the house with pop in hand, strolling across the yard when suddenly I look over and there are flames gently rolling up my barns ancient shake roof.... Oh S as I race across the yard, grab a fire extinguisher race the tractor and loader over as a ladder, climb up and empty the fire extinguisher... I might as well have peed on it. jump down, grab the hoses, shimmy up on the roof and start hosing it down. I hollered at the FIL to call the FD, to have him holler back "it's ok we can handle it." after about 45 mintutes of sitting up there I was finally able to climb down successfully. Eyes were burning from the smoke, but I got it out. In true FIL form, he stood on the ground and pointed out the flare ups to spray while I was roosting on the peak. I was shocked when my wife and MIL got back and LAUGHED about it. They thought it was par for the course when he and I do "projects" together. Alone, we are both ok, but together, something ALWAYS gets damaged.

/ Burn Pile near catastrophe #27  
hutch4472 said:
I work for the CDF (California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection). This type of thing happens ALLOT (I know that doesnt make you feel any better but you handled it well). Usually out here the debris burn escapes dont get "put out" by the land owner and/or a single local fire engine. They often require many, many engines, dozers, and (the REALLY expensive component) aircraft. If the land owner/responsible person at least TRIED to act responsively and was using SOME common sense while burning he/she will either get no fine or only a small percentage of the suppression cost. However if gross negligence is found they can get a "Jaw dropping, life altering" bill for our suppresion costs.

Looking at the pictures, if I would have come out to your place to put it out I would have said "dont worry about it, thats what were here for, you did fine, lesson learned".

Hutch

Today is a burn day both above and below 3000 ft elevation in Tehama Co.

Got neighbors to the SE and SW out there burning tree trimmings and other stuff. Wind is kicking up a little, which makes me anxious.

All of us live on 10-acre plots, flat, grazing land. Most of us have 20-30-ft firebreaks plowed along the fence lines. I cut my weeds real short (3-4 inches) last June before the high temperatures dried everything out. Our rainy season starts this month so there will be more burn days ahead.

I have a bunch of trimmings from my almond trees. Plan to run them through the shredder and use the chips as ground cover in the bonsai garden. The air quality up here gets pretty poor during harvest season, which is going on now. Don't need to add to the problem by burning my trash.

/ Burn Pile near catastrophe #28  
I usually burn once a year. I just add to the pile the rest of the year. B.T. (Before Tractor), I would run my chain saw into the pile to cut things up and make a more compact pile. It is amazing how much stuff can be put on the pile if you do this. I found it much easier than making another pile and then adding that stuff to the pile as it burned.

Now W.T. (With Tractor), I just use the bucket or forks and everytime I dump stuff on it I will apply down pressure.

So...my piles are usually rather large, and make for some real roaring flames.
My No. 1 rule is to burn a pile like this only in the rain, or snow. I have burned with light rains and some soakers. The soakers usually have some wind and it keeps the pile burning faster.

My piles burn well, in the rain and are never covered. I do bring stuff -cardboard box, kindling, dry firewood, propane torch, (great for the wind and rain). I make a "hole in the side of the pile and use the materials I brought to build a small fire. Even in the pouring rain, it doesn't take much to get the pile a-flame if you first produce a "seed" fire. Of course you may also introduce the accelerant of you choosing to the mix.:p

It is sometimes uncomfortable burning in the "weather". Cold, sweaty, wet. However I find the discomfort mimimal when compared to worring about starting the field/woods/buildings on fire.

But...nothing is foolproof! Couple of years ago I burned the pile in an all day downpour. It rained hard, and when I left the pile it was 95% white ash on top and smoldering underneith. It continued to downpour all night. The next day, storm over, came the wind. I gave the ashes a glance in the morning. All well. A couple of hours later I notice some smoke starting to rise. The wind was blowing the fire back into action. I then proceeded to use lots of water and stirring of the ashes, to make sure that thing was out.

Turned out to be quite a day. Neighbor came to tell me that there was a fire in the woodlot adjacent to mine. Sure enough, there's the smoke. We loaded up 80 gals of water and headed out on ATVs. It was the same story as my fire. The night before the fella that owned that lot and a friend burned all manner of wood etc. Some rather large pieces. Again it was pouring rain all night and they even pitched a tent and slept there as well, just to be extra carefull. By the next pm the wind had started that fire up again! Of course the boys went home in the morning thinking that the fire was fine. Not out, but ok. By the PM hours the wind had started that fire up again! Just like my start up again fire, it wasn't really a threat, but it didn't feel right in my head to just leave it alone.

That's two fires dealt with. Enough! Had to pick up my niece at school. On the way home, noticed the neighbor on the other side of me was just starting a brush pile on fire. Went home and it just didn't sit right. I figured I would go over and talk to him. Surely, after I told him my experiences that day he would understand that this wasn't the time to burn. The wind was still blowing hard. It wasn't the neighbor himself. It was a young, sassy, dissrespectful, rude, (need I go on?), young man(?) about 20 years old. The grandson.:( You see... he was too delicate to stand in the rain the day before....

He just blew me off. He knew it all, even after I pointed out that the 20 acres of White Pine I planted in 1980 was directly where the wind was blowing the smoke and embers.

I appealed to the grandparents, with whom I have always had a good relationship. Grandmother slammed the door in my face! Grandson was a perfect being.

So...being, just a mite' ticked off:eek: , I went home and called the fire warden. He had given the grandson a fire permit, which was to be used ONLY if the wind died down. The warden called the Grandmother. She hung up on him!

He had to drive the 10 miles to here and make sure the kid put it out. He is also too nice of a guy. I would have tacked on any kind of summons/fines I could have.

Now I have gotten myself all stirred up relating this incident. I'll have to go cut down a tree or som'tin....

/ Burn Pile near catastrophe #29  
The best equipment I have found for keeping a fire from spreading is a tractor with FEL and bushog. Spread and even small jumps can be squelched by using the mower in a direction such that the fire is thrown back on itself.
Larry

/ Burn Pile near catastrophe #30  
Kinda reminds me of the feeling that you get in the pit of your stomach when you're car is wildly sliding on ice as you're trying to stop, knowing full well that you're going to clobber the guy in front of you that has managed to get his car under control.

HELPLESSNESS :(