Burn piles

/ Burn piles #62  
A day or so ago, I saw a news article... as I recall the article, a husband/wife (I think a child?) were burning some things outdoors. Dad walked away for whatever reason. I think it said they had put another log onto the fire but the log wasn't lighting quickly enough.

Wife grabbed a gas can and tossed some onto fire to presumably light the log (on an already hot fire) and the can ignited causing burns on both her and child. I think it said the can exploded and She (mother/wife) died.

As I was reading that story, I hadn't gotten to the end but knew what was coming and it literally got my eyes watering. So terribly tragic, sad and preventable.

/ Burn piles #63  
A day or so ago, I saw a news article... as I recall the article, a husband/wife (I think a child?) were burning some things outdoors. Dad walked away for whatever reason. I think it said they had put another log onto the fire but the log wasn't lighting quickly enough.

Wife grabbed a gas can and tossed some onto fire to presumably light the log (on an already hot fire) and the can ignited causing burns on both her and child. I think it said the can exploded and She (mother/wife) died.

As I was reading that story, I hadn't gotten to the end but knew what was coming and it literally got my eyes watering. So terribly tragic, sad and preventable.

Sad... I read that article also. People become complacent with dangerous items or materials that they deal with on a frequent basis, until it goes south.
My gasoline complacency experience years ago was refueling a hot lawn mower... No injuries, but it was an eye opener.

/ Burn piles #64  
I'll never understand why people use gasoline on fires. I suppose if it's the only accelerant you have on hand, you might think it's normal. But diesel fuel burns great without the explosiveness. Same for lighter fluid. I bought a weed-burner torch that runs off a propane tank, easy peasy and plenty safe. Really all you need is some dry newspaper. Having a leaf blower on hand can help get/keep things going.

The last thing I would ever do is reach for a can of gasoline. If your pile doesn't want to burn itself, then maybe you just need to wait for it to dry out, or you're doing it wrong.

Tragic story, Richard.

/ Burn piles #65  
Knew a guy who had a reputation for taking advantage of people for his benefit. He had cleared a tree line back and then dug a substantial pit with a large Cat wheel loader. He piled the trees and slash into the pit (wouldn't let anyone cut on the slash for firewood either). Lit a HUGE fire and in a macho way was using his loader to bunch the pile as it burnt. You guessed it. He stuck the unit and couldn't get it backed away.

That story blessed a lot of hearts.

/ Burn piles #66  
When feeding a fire with my grapple I drop the load at the edge of the pile, back up and then bunch the pile with the grapple lid closed. If I ever stall, the unburned material between me and the fire would buy me time restart the tractor, hose the fire down, etc. We are required to have a hose nearby and with our 10' x 10' pile limit the burn can be doused fairly effectively.

Last edited:
   / Burn piles
re using gasoline - Gasoline sucks for lighting any wood but what wants to be lit with a match. It burns off so quickly that it rarely catches anything on fire along with it; may as well use alcohol half of the time.

Diesel is definitely better this way (and much safer), though I've often had trouble getting diesel to light in the first place (you should've seen my wife the first time she saw me dousing a pile with diesel and then lighting it with a lighter close-up instead of making a trail fuse like with gas - she expected me to get blown up but the damn stuff wouldn't light until it had sat for a bit!). I don't bother with accelerants any more; now that I have the tractor I just have a few very dry piles and if I need to burns stuff I grab a pile and my propane torch - 30 seconds to a blazing pile.

/ Burn piles #68  
I knew of a guy once who tried to start a fire in his fireplace with gasoline and burned his house down and he died in the fire.

I have found dryer lint to be a great fire starter.

/ Burn piles #69  
I agree gas is not only dangerous but it pales compared to diesel for starting fires.
But nuthin beats a tire

/ Burn piles #70  
I mix my used motor oil with wood shavings (bedding) and use it start fires in my wood stove, burn barrel, etc. Very effective and safe.