Burned about 3-4 acre's today...What have you burned lately?

/ Burned about 3-4 acre's today...What have you burned lately? #11  
Yup....get that a lot if you are not experienced in burning off acreage of woods. It was very safe and controlled cleaning burn. Firebreaks and backfire established well ahead..
Plenty of professionally controlled controlled burns have gotten out of control. Houses and lives lost. I am not saying you are wrong but there is high risk. you do the best you can but no one can win when nature takes its upper hand especially unexpectedly.

/ Burned about 3-4 acre's today...What have you burned lately?
Plenty of professionally controlled controlled burns have gotten out of control. Houses and lives lost. I am not saying you are wrong but there is high risk. you do the best you can but no one can win when nature takes its upper hand especially unexpectedly.
And if you don't prescribe burn it, when nature decides to... You can guarantee it will be a wildfire out of control more  houses and more lives lost. It's a no win argument.

Has a fire jumped a break before with me, yes. Acted accordingly and wrapped it off and let it burn itself out. Burning on less than appropriate days will get you in trouble quick. And not knowing how to handle it if does get across a break. Those wildfires out west are absolutely scary but could be a lot less with proper management... Burning where I live on the flat isn't as bad.. here along the coastal plain on GA. When you have to figure in mountainous terrain the job gets twice as hard and scary.

/ Burned about 3-4 acre's today...What have you burned lately? #13  
And if you don't prescribe burn it, when nature decides to... You can guarantee it will be a wildfire out of control more  houses and more lives lost. It's a no win argument.

Has a fire jumped a break before with me, yes. Acted accordingly and wrapped it off and let it burn itself out. Burning on less than appropriate days will get you in trouble quick. And not knowing how to handle it if does get across a break. Those wildfires out west are absolutely scary but could be a lot less with proper management... Burning where I live on the flat isn't as bad.. here along the coastal plain on GA. When you have to figure in mountainous terrain the job gets twice as hard and scary.
I would love to do a control burn on my 40 acres of pine. But I have no experience or knowledge.

Are there companies that offer this type of service?

@tradosaurus
Yes I would start with your local State forestry service .. Texas for you?
👇

Burning larger acreage can be risky... cutting breaks to make smaller tracts to burn individually instead of trying to do it all at once can be very helpful.. just something to keep in mind.

Last edited:
   / Burned about 3-4 acre's today...What have you burned lately? #15  
I would love to do a control burn on my 40 acres of pine. But I have no experience or knowledge.

Are there companies that offer this type of service?
Talk to your state forestry people or a consulting forester.

/ Burned about 3-4 acre's today...What have you burned lately? #16  
I had the Georgia Forestry service (state) burn 35 acres of 25 year old planted pines last year. They had not been burned in about 10 years so undergrowth was more than I wanted to risk myself. It got HOT! They have the proper equipment (~D4 with heavy harrow, front & rear break plows) and trained staff to read the weather, cut breaks, light & monitor the fire. I’m on their wait list to come burn another 100 acres of natural mature pines/woods. A little pricey to use them but I know my butt is covered liability wise. “Due care” is our state’s legal standard.

Would love to see the view now.
Few pics from today... The larger area and the long narrow strip between road and planted pines.
IMG_20221214_153817758.jpg
IMG_20221214_153447497.jpg
IMG_20221214_153334992.jpg
IMG_20221214_154852632.jpg

Last edited: