Burning coal

/ Burning coal #41  
We are in process of building a retirement cottage. It's only 600 sq ft. We bought a 'parlor stove' to burn coal for our main heat when it drops below 40 degrees. Anyone have a guess about how much I would burn a day? I was planning on getting Anthracite chunks in 50lb sacks.

The answer to your question is probably somewhere here: Anthracite & Bituminous Coal Forum - Residential & Commercial Heating | Coalpail.com Forum

I'm too new at coal burning to give you a really good answer, but I wouldn't want to go through the hassle of getting a coal fire going periodically. I've got it going now, and it will probably keep burning, God-willing, til sometime in April.

We had mild temps yesterday through last night and I idled my Harman Mark III down after filling it yesterday around 2:30PM, and shook it down and refilled it around 7:45AM. I probably used 25lbs when I refilled it yesterday, and it could have gone a little while longer before I refilled it today.

/ Burning coal #42  
The answer to your question is probably somewhere here: Anthracite & Bituminous Coal Forum - Residential & Commercial Heating | Coalpail.com Forum

I'm too new at coal burning to give you a really good answer, but I wouldn't want to go through the hassle of getting a coal fire going periodically. I've got it going now, and it will probably keep burning, God-willing, til sometime in April.

We had mild temps yesterday through last night and I idled my Harman Mark III down after filling it yesterday around 2:30PM, and shook it down and refilled it around 7:45AM. I probably used 25lbs when I refilled it yesterday, and it could have gone a little while longer before I refilled it today.

I would agree with that forum suggestion.
I don't know if I could throttle my stove low enough for that small of a cabin, depending of course on the construction and insulation and anticipated temps.

/ Burning coal #43  
I burned coal for three years in an old coal hot water heater someone gave me. I still have it - put away. The walls are 1/2" cast iron. For every bucket of coal I put in, I took out a bucket of ash - every day. I used wood to start the fire if it was out. The stove would heat up slowly - hard to regulate even with a flue damper and a draft control. About 2 am the temp would get up to 90 and the walls of the stove would glow red with the lights off. I liked the coal, but wood was easier to manage.

/ Burning coal #44  
I get rid of most of my ashes to a local feed mill. Dump them in a 55 gallon drum and when it's full I load the drum in his truck and he leaves me another drum.
I have one other person who picks up a few 5 gallon buckets a couple times a winter.

/ Burning coal #45  
I worked in the coal industry for a few years. Actually in the energy business in general, but part of that was coal mines. With that background, we're not looking into coal heating systems....

/ Burning coal #46  
I worked in the coal industry for a few years. Actually in the energy business in general, but part of that was coal mines. With that background, we're not looking into coal heating systems....

You're just gonna leave us with that cliffhanger?

/ Burning coal #48  
I do have one regret in regards to burning coal.
I installed my Hitzer fireplace insert a half dozen years ago, and use between 3 an 4 tons a year.
When I installed my new boiler 20 years ago I went with oil, I should have gone with a coal stroker boiler.
I notice very little smell a bit outside when the stove is throttled way down and it makes a minimal mess.
Most definitely less then wood would. The smell is not as pleasant a good wood fire, but also no chimney fire worry with coal.

/ Burning coal #49  
I burned coal for three years in an old coal hot water heater someone gave me. I still have it - put away. The walls are 1/2" cast iron. For every bucket of coal I put in, I took out a bucket of ash - every day. I used wood to start the fire if it was out. The stove would heat up slowly - hard to regulate even with a flue damper and a draft control. About 2 am the temp would get up to 90 and the walls of the stove would glow red with the lights off. I liked the coal, but wood was easier to manage.

I've only ever known one person who heated with coal, and that was 30-odd years ago. His experiences were similar to yours. Not unusual to drive past his house on a 20° day and see the windows open.

I get rid of most of my ashes to a local feed mill. Dump them in a 55 gallon drum and when it's full I load the drum in his truck and he leaves me another drum.
I have one other person who picks up a few 5 gallon buckets a couple times a winter.

What would a mill that makes feed want with coal ashes? I've read that they're quite toxic...might be OK to spread them on your driveway when it's icy, but that would be about it.

Not a common method of heating here. Just for grins I googled "coal dealers near me" and got 3 hits, 2 of which were 2+ hours away. This compared with 9 for fuel oil, all of which were within 25 mi. or so. Maybe it would be different in/near coal country.
What about cost? Is the price comparable to oil or pellets?

/ Burning coal
Just got 2 ton delivered @ 220 ton.
What does everyone do with their ashes?

I put them in a pile outside the cellar walk in door . In the spring I spread them on top of gravel driveway . We have an ice storm once in awhile so I can spread some on the driveway . I use the rice coal so the ashes are quite fine .