Burning Wood at Night.

/ Burning Wood at Night. #21  
After spending my early years here burning I finally gave up on it. Just way too much time. Concern is with keeping fires going, not with spreading: it rains a LOT here. Debris just gets grappled off to some place on my property where it'll grow something else. When I take out trees, or what used to be trees (stumps- less and less of these now), I dig the stumps up, set them aside and keep digging till I have a big enough hole and then push the stumps in and cover. This is infrequent work/activity, and only occurs via a rented excavator.

A nice fire outside on a winter day without precip would be nice. When that weather condition sets in around here it's usually when we have a stagnant air alert/warning and any sizable smoke plume is going to attracted the unwanted...

/ Burning Wood at Night. #22  
I burn once a year in the fall.

Consists of all stuff (mostly dead branches and about 30 bags of leaves) collected throughout the year. I typically have 3 burn piles but they are not too large.

Here are 2 that were winding down last Fall.

62698661648__58FBF532-A042-4322-8B53-5653CA51BFB0.JPG
IMG_0996.JPG

MoKelly

/ Burning Wood at Night. #23  
It had rained 2 inches in 12 hours. November, so late in the fall...still misting when I lit off the brush pile.

Sure enough...Fire Alarm for the local Volunteers went off 30 minutes into the burn...we could hear it from 2 miles away.

Told my wife "...They're coming for us..."

Three minutes later the Ambulance was first on the scene. We were standing there, shovels in hand, with the fire well under control...and drizzle still drizzling...

I think he was let down...

"... Did you call 911..."

"Well...no Sir, because we are not having an emergency."

What he actually meant was did we call 911 before the fire, so they were aware in case a "Karen" reported seeing smoke.

We're educated now.

We call to report ourselves first!
199555080.jpg

/ Burning Wood at Night. #24  
There's an old rhyme....See something, say something.

It's a good idea.

/ Burning Wood at Night. #25  
We always call ahead of time.....the local FD and the 911 center.

/ Burning Wood at Night. #26  
What he actually meant was did we call 911 before the fire, so they were aware in case a "Karen" reported seeing smoke.
I help a friend every couple years night burns his Longleaf stand a couple counties north of town. As part of pre-burn prep he religiously calls the 911 backdoor number to give them a heads up. Regardless, if someone calls to report smoke/fire they have to dispatch to investigate. Invariably the local volly fire department shows up loaded for bear, only to be visibly disappointed when they learn it is a controlled burn.

/ Burning Wood at Night. #27  
It had rained 2 inches in 12 hours. November, so late in the fall...still misting when I lit off the brush pile.

Sure enough...Fire Alarm for the local Volunteers went off 30 minutes into the burn...we could hear it from 2 miles away.

Told my wife "...They're coming for us..."

Three minutes later the Ambulance was first on the scene. We were standing there, shovels in hand, with the fire well under control...and drizzle still drizzling...

I think he was let down...

"... Did you call 911..."

"Well...no Sir, because we are not having an emergency."

We're educated now.

We call to report ourselves first!View attachment 714418

I’m curious.

Did the folks that showed up have a huge water tank to try to put out the supposed out-of-control fire? Are there fire hydrants anywhere near you? How do they handle fires that need to be stopped?

MoKelly

/ Burning Wood at Night. #28  
We have to register burn online so as not to get a response by FD.

/ Burning Wood at Night. #29  
I’m curious.

Did the folks that showed up have a huge water tank to try to put out the supposed out-of-control fire? Are there fire hydrants anywhere near you? How do they handle fires that need to be stopped?

MoKelly
Mr. MoKelly, we're pretty rural, well water and no municipal hydrants.

Suspect they were sending the tanker along on the call.

The EMT said he would call off the Calvary...so the Vols never made it to our place.

It was a wet and soggy late November day...not even sure napalm would have spread fire that day!

/ Burning Wood at Night. #30  
Mr. MoKelly, we're pretty rural, well water and no municipal hydrants.

Suspect they were sending the tanker along on the call.

The EMT said he would call off the Calvary...so the Vols never made it to our place.

It was a wet and soggy late November day...not even sure napalm would have spread fire that day!

Thanks. We are pretty rural as well. The fire department would send a pumper truck and use the neighbors lake to try to help. Their lake is about 2/10ths of a mile away. Not sure how helpful that would be for us.

MoKelly