Bury wire pair to locate water line?

/ Bury wire pair to locate water line? #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
Hi All,

I'm burying a PVC water line and also burying electrical in separate schedule 80 PVC. Both in same trench. The trench is about 3 feet deep. Too deep to use a metal detector later should I need to locate the water/electric line.

Can a tone be put on the electric line that I'm burying or should I bury a separate pair of wires (bell wire) to use to put a tone on later to be used for locating?

/ Bury wire pair to locate water line? #2  
Just to locate where the line is you could just bury some metal thingies (pennies, bottle caps, etc.) in the trench, just not 3 foot deep by the lines, just, like, a foot or six inches below the surface. Seems to me.

/ Bury wire pair to locate water line? #3  
They make a special tape to put over the dig so it can located later, get it, use it.

HS

/ Bury wire pair to locate water line? #4  
Can I infer form this thread that utility locating services cannot find anything buried deeper than 3 feet?

/ Bury wire pair to locate water line?
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. Tape isn't an option because I don't want to have to dig it up to find it. I want to be able to locate it in case I'm digging in the area later and need to avoid hitting this line.

I have a high-end metal detector (over $1000) and special coils and in the best conditions they are only good for about 12 inches depending on soil conditions.

Also, its going through my garden which is why it needs to be deep. I run a tiller on the tractor over the garden. Burying other metal objects shallow would work normally but I can't really do it because of the above.

The utility company can locate deep lines but normally won't locate "private" lines.

My best option is to be able to put a tone on the line and then go along and mark the location with paint. What I didn't know is if the tone can be put on the existing "hot" electric or I need to put another pair of cheap wire in the trench in order to carry the tone.

/ Bury wire pair to locate water line? #7  
Could you 'map' it? Take pics of the trench and note distances from a big tree, corner of house, etc, along the trench line on a drawing or on the 8"x10" pics?
As far as 'toneing' it could Cat 5 with a tone generator work?

/ Bury wire pair to locate water line?
Yes, I can definitely take pics and measurements. I have a tone generator for locating phone lines in the wall and it might work. I was thinking cat 5 too but bell wire might be a little cheaper.

/ Bury wire pair to locate water line? #9  
You can add caution or buried wire tape at a depth that you use to locate the trench and then just follow the tape once you hit it.
Using direct burial cable in a sand filled trench for the electric eliminates the need for PVC pipe to house the lines.

/ Bury wire pair to locate water line? #10  
I know where the power line runs from the transformer to the house. It is a round about trip to avoid a future garage but the path is land marked by a slight ditch, raised wall, play set and well house. The power line AND water goes to the house from the well house to the house. *** I *** know the route, but others will not know, so I buried plastic flagging six or so inches below grade. Figured if someone is digging and started finding orange flagging that will be a clue. I hope.

Later,
Dan