Burying Flexible Conduits Along Highways

/ Burying Flexible Conduits Along Highways #1  

Chewwy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3240, MF 265
I have notice a lot of colored flexible conduits being buried along a number of major highways. Most are blue or orange but also some yellow. Some conduits near us were buried over a year ago and as of yet do not appear to be used for anything (ends of empty conduit sticking up out of the ground).

On one trip to Boone, NC, there were well over 50 boring machines in use up and down the highway (used to drill under highway intersections and driveways).

Thet can’t be for water, gas, or electric. Doubtful it’s for land phone lines since they are going the way of the Dodo birds. I’m guessing maybe cable and/or fiber optics.

Anyone know for sure what these are intended to be used for and what the different colors mean?

/ Burying Flexible Conduits Along Highways #2  
Input in orange ones for both fat coax and fiber optic. I leave the ends out or in a vault(depending on job) for someone else to make the final connections. Sometimes it takes a while sometimes they're waiting on me.

/ Burying Flexible Conduits Along Highways #3  
They just buried 25 miles of the Orange conduits here for fiber optic cable. Next summer, everyone gets fiber optic run to their homes. Sure hope that conduit is rated for frost heaves, permafrost and earthquakes.

/ Burying Flexible Conduits Along Highways #4  
Fiber optic went in next to our country road like 4 years ago? Nearby school apparently is connected. Nobody else till you get to town.

They're starting to connect homes in the more populated areas on the other side of town first. U can't blame them, here it's an average of 10ac parcels and bigger, over there it's developed much more densely.

/ Burying Flexible Conduits Along Highways #5  
Fiber optic went in next to our country road like 4 years ago? Nearby school apparently is connected. Nobody else till you get to town.

They're starting to connect homes in the more populated areas on the other side of town first. U can't blame them, here it's an average of 10ac parcels and bigger, over there it's developed much more densely.
We average just under 2 people per square mile. I can't believe we will be getting fiber optic either.

/ Burying Flexible Conduits Along Highways #6  
On fiber optic, they have it to about 3/4 miles from us but no intention of connecting the 75 homes past that point and those 75 are all side by each thus relatively easy to service.
Fortunately a small outfit has provided us with an 'over the air' service and is very active in keeping it well maintained. Over the last 5 years we've only averaged maybe 3 short outages per that were rapidly corrected. Downside is certain w/e's its slow probably due to kids playing games or folks downloading HD films.

/ Burying Flexible Conduits Along Highways #7  
On fiber optic, they have it to about 3/4 miles from us but no intention of connecting the 75 homes past that point and those 75 are all side by each thus relatively easy to service.
Fortunately a small outfit has provided us with an 'over the air' service and is very active in keeping it well maintained. Over the last 5 years we've only averaged maybe 3 short outages per that were rapidly corrected. Downside is certain w/e's its slow probably due to kids playing games or folks downloading HD films.
We have over the air here (basically WiFi), but it's hilly terrain and the closest tower is on the hill behind my house.
The line-of-sight is through many, many trees... for a while, I had service with them using some band that apparently manages to go through some foliage, but it requires more money and less bandwidth, but it was what I could get so I went with it, until regrowth started obscuring it too much and simlutaneously my employer provided me with unlimited cellular data.

That cellular data isn't cutting it any more though. Occasionally it drops significantly below 1Mbps for a while... so I'm back on the starlink deposit list.

/ Burying Flexible Conduits Along Highways #8  
Traffic cameras??
Electronic traffic warning billboards???

/ Burying Flexible Conduits Along Highways #9  
Standardized utility colors are yellow=natural gas, blue=water, orange=communications which can be for fiber optics, twisted pair copper or coax.
But not everyone abides by this "standard".

/ Burying Flexible Conduits Along Highways #10  
Grey is electrical,… I’m assuming.

My house is at the extreme end of a branch and they’re running up a new line to connect my branch end to a new trunk that has room for expansion while the current one is at its limit so they’re going to cut off a section and “graft” it to a new trunk. I kept hoping it was fiber but nooooo.

Still waiting for Starlink…