Burying water pipe

/ Burying water pipe #1  

PHPaul

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650 with cab, Pasquali 986
I need to replace the water line from the house to the barn. I did the original with a chain trencher and got it down 16" or so. I drain it in the fall and lug water with buckets all winter.

Hooked it up this spring and I have a blockage of some sort, either collapsed pipe or ice, not sure which. Plus, over the years it's been hit or dug up, re-routed and otherwise dicked around with, and has multiple leaks.

I'm thinking this time I'll try using a variation of a "tile plow" like the big boys use to put in drain tile in their fields. I'll only be burying 1" poly, so I'm hoping my JD 750 will pull it okay. I'd like to bury it about 16"-18" again. Below frost would be nice, but I have a ditch to cross that would require going 7 or 8 feet deep, plus I'm not willing to spend that much time on a backhoe to trench the whole 300-ish feet.

So, what I'm looking for is links to examples of a mini tile plow, or sketches/ideas on how one should be made.

/ Burying water pipe #2  
You might consider tapering a ditch crossing if it is dry and use the trencher again. Some of the larger trenchers could put the pipe deeper maybe five feet and reduce your problems. Might be the cheaper easier approach imo.

/ Burying water pipe #3  
It is your choice but 300 ft. is a short trench ,in Maine it gets cold ,if you have the backhoe bury it 8ft save your back and the headache. You have already said you have plenty of grief with the sallow burial but this is coming from somewhere that 5ft is an invitation for trouble.

/ Burying water pipe #4  
I drain it in the fall and lug water with buckets all winter.

If you get by all winter with buckets why not just get a bigger bucket?

2 IBC totes could give you 600 gallons.

Attachments

• 8x6SAM_0422.jpg
    8x6SAM_0422.jpg
    410.1 KB · Views: 411
   / Burying water pipe #5  
So, what I'm looking for is links to examples of a mini tile plow, or sketches/ideas on how one should be made.

I made one from a TSC subsoiler. Here is a picture of it with a piece of exhaust pipe welded into a angle iron. That is a ditching point on there now, for trenching I used the standard point.

image.jpg

I ordered a large cable layer attachment for a subsoiler but when it arrived I realized it needed a much larger sub soiler than the TSC so I put it in the man cave for a drink holder!

image.jpg

/ Burying water pipe
Deerherd, that's what I was thinking of doing.

Two questions: How much tractor do you use to pull it, and how well is that exhaust pipe cable guide holding up?

/ Burying water pipe #7  
Sir, I don't mean to be disrespectful, but you remind me of my father-in-law...he wants to do everything half-assed.

Obviously you use the barn durning the winter, and I am guessing that Maine winters are no picnic. No idea how old you are, but you are older today than you were yesterday - and at some point - hauling buckets of water during that long cold winter will be too much.

Rent a trencher or a mini excavator (or find someone who has one and barter some services). Install a frost free hydrant and be done with it. Make it easier on yourself! (You are not a spring chicken anymore).

Ok, preaching over. :)

If you are like my FIL, you are gonna do it your way anyhow. This is the point where I call him a hard headed penny pincher - then make fun of him every time he complains about hauling water in the cold. :) (we get along quite well for two hard headed guys)

Good luck sir

/ Burying water pipe #8  
Deerherd, that's what I was thinking of doing.

Two questions: How much tractor do you use to pull it, and how well is that exhaust pipe cable guide holding up?

I have an 88 hp tractor that pulls it fine and there is a piece of angle iron welded on to protect the exhaust tube from damage. Your main concern is that whatever you are pulling can make the bend at the bottom without binding. Make sure you have the end flared so that the cable feeds smooth.
To use that larger tube I purchased I would need a much larger sub soiler.

Here's a picture with more detail showing how the angle iron protects the tube and spreads the trench.

image.jpg

/ Burying water pipe #9  
I have a single shank subsoiler, sort of that looks like the orange picture minus the plow point at the bottom. My JD870 with a loader will get stuck pulling it. Note I have no traction aids (filled tires or suitcase weights) so the tractor weighs 3,000 pounds and the loader as another few hundred/thousand. My single shank probably requires less HP than the cable/hose pipe tool. My tractor is too light with not enough tractor. I suspect if my tractor weighed another 3,000 pounds I would be good. Maybe 4wd might help a bit. Old low horsepower tractors did plowing work with weight and gears.

/ Burying water pipe #10  
Just a mention that a prebent electrical conduit section might be used in the plow build.