Rotary Cutter Bush Hog 286 Rotary Cutter

/ Bush Hog 286 Rotary Cutter #1  

lschultz

Bronze Member
Tractor
M6800 4wd
Just had to add about a qt oil to gear box on bush hog 286 rotary cutter.Had it just over a yr and thats the first time I have ck it.Maybe they don't quite fill it up to the check hole plug on the side.No signs of any leakeage anywhere,no unusual noise.Do these gearboxs have a drain plug.If they do I guess you have to pull the stump jumper off to get to it.I'll talk to the fellow next week where I got it but I'm just curious what you fellows think.Thanks

/ Bush Hog 286 Rotary Cutter #2  
There is no drain plug. Too bad you have had it for a year without checking the oil level. If oil doesn't show up on the stump jumper or around the input shaft seal, it most likely wasn't filled properly at pre-delivery.

/ Bush Hog 286 Rotary Cutter #3  
<font color=blue>...it most likely wasn't filled properly at pre-delivery...</font color=blue>/w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif

The 286 is an excellent unit... hopefully no gearbox damage occurred...

/ Bush Hog 286 Rotary Cutter #4  
Larry,

I agree that it was probably not filled completly when you got it.

You did bring up a good question. Is there ever any need to change the oil in the gear box? Would not exactly be easy to just tip it up to drain out the old oil, but it could be done with an FEL.

My plan, and standard dealer advice, is to keep it topped off until the oil runs out the side plug, then just put the plug back and be happy.

Fred

/ Bush Hog 286 Rotary Cutter #5  
<font color=blue>...standard dealer advice, is to keep it topped off until the oil runs out the side plug, then just put the plug back and be happy...</font color=blue>

Yes... you need room inside the gearbox for expansion from the heat... but don't use the term "topping off" /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif 'cause somebody may do just that "without" having the side (lower/bottom) plug open to check for the proper level...

Having a full gearbox "to the brim" can be detrimental... leaving no room for expansion and something has to give... you normally blow out the top/bottom gearbox seals if you're "lucky" /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif... or end up cracking the gearbox casing under worse case scenario.../w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif (with a plugged relief)

For a test of "heat"... after you brush hog continuously for about an hour... feel the gearbox casing... you could cook on it... it's that hot... /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

(the same holds true for FWD axles...)