Rotary Cutter Bush hog blades won't turn

/ Bush hog blades won't turn #11  
Another thing to consider is a keyway or roll pin sheared between either the input shaft and input gear or the output gear and output shaft. Might be able to finish the season with repairs but I agree with the others in that it is time for a new gear box. Good luck!

/ Bush hog blades won't turn #12  
If you shut the tractor off in a way that locks the pto shaft from rotating, then reach under the mower & hand turn the blade you’ll find the problem at the junction of what spins and what doesn’t spin.

/ Bush hog blades won't turn
Needs new gear box and keep oil in it
Just got back from vacation, hence the delay.... thanks, is it hard to replace the gear box? I figured that was the case, the PTO does not turn the blades, although the PTO shaft spins.

The teeth on the blade shaft gear are damaged from your picture. It's new gear box time. Good news is they are cheap on ebay. Around 160 bucks shipped. The 40hp boxes on most light duty cutters are all the same. Remove the stump jumper and count the splines. I bet there is 12 splines.
Okay, this is all good to know! Sounds like it might be a pain, but much cheaper than a new bushhog!

/ Bush hog blades won't turn #15  
Okay, this is all good to know! Sounds like it might be a pain, but much cheaper than a new bushhog!

Much cheaper! A new light duty 5 foot cutter averages 1300 bucks!

Much cheaper! A new light duty 5 foot cutter averages 1300 bucks!
Lol, yup, although I was toying with the idea anyway... mine is quite old and beat up, has various chains and bolts to hold it straight, bit of a mess. Although there are other things I could spend money on. (Aren't there always??)

/ Bush hog blades won't turn #17  
Lol, yup, although I was toying with the idea anyway... mine is quite old and beat up, has various chains and bolts to hold it straight, bit of a mess. Although there are other things I could spend money on. (Aren't there always??)

If you are going to replace it only go new. You have experience now of how beat up these things get and how rigged they can get over the years.

What do you cut with it? Just maintaining pasture or are you constantly clearing 1" or larger brush, rocks, tree stumps?

/ Bush hog blades won't turn #18  
Looks to me like the vertical shaft has slipped down - see where it has been rubbing on the housing? This drops the beveled gear down where it won't engage the horizontal shaft.

/ Bush hog blades won't turn #19  
Looks to me like the vertical shaft has slipped down - see where it has been rubbing on the housing? This drops the beveled gear down where it won't engage the horizontal shaft.
This is my guess as well. That output gear is sitting on the housing. Probably very dead bearings under that due to lack of oil. Teeth look ugly, but they would still engage. (and make a further mess)