Rotary Cutter Bush Hog Blades

/ Bush Hog Blades #1  

Papper

Tractor
Kubota L3200
Hey folks,
I inherited what I believe to be a Bush Hog RZ60 from the previous property owner. I am performing an annual tune up before hitting the fields. Everything looks OK except the blades. They are in good shape but I can flex the end of the blades up and down a good 1.5 inches.
Is this normal? Seems to me they are loose on the mounting bolt. The nuts are both tight so I am not sure if this is normal.

Ran the unit last year for 15 hours with no issues.

Any advice from you experts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Papper

/ Bush Hog Blades #2  
I don't have your model but I'm pretty sure that is not right... they should not "flex" up and down. Can you see where the slack is coming from (bolt holding it on or the stump jumper plate loose?) surely, the metal blade itself is not flexing.

/ Bush Hog Blades #3  
I am certainly not an expert on Rotary Mowers or anything for that matter but the blades are going to be able to move the axis of the bolt freely. As far as up and down movement naturally you want the minimum but your 1.5 inches don't seem out of the ordinary to me. As the blades age along with the bolt that holds them on you'll get some wear in there and it will cause the blades to droop a bit.

Just make sure your bolts are tight and you don't have excessive wear where the blades are drooping way down and you should be fine. There are some experts that might chime in to give you a better answer than me. I have 2 rotary mowers with some age on both and they have at least that much up and down play.

/ Bush Hog Blades #4  
I would make sure the blade deflection doesn't allow the blades to hit the bottom of the deck.
David from jax

/ Bush Hog Blades #5  
It could be that the blade bolt is worn and or the hole in the blade that the blade bolt goes through, allowing the blade to move with more slop than it should have.

Take the blades off and sharpen them. Check the blade bolts and the holes in the blades for wear and out-of-round. Your owner's manual will tell you how much wear is allowable in those areas and how much is too much (requiring replacement).

/ Bush Hog Blades
I don't have your model but I'm pretty sure that is not right... they should not "flex" up and down. Can you see where the slack is coming from (bolt holding it on or the stump jumper plate loose?) surely, the metal blade itself is not flexing.

Thanks so much guys,
The make and model are also a mystery. I am attaching a few picks to see if one of you folks can identify it. I thought it is a Bush Hog Razorback model RZ60 but Bush Hog says no. They thought it to be an Andy Brand but I do not find a match.. Bush Hog Back 2.jpgBush Hog back.JPGBush Hog left side.jpgBush Hog right.jpg

The slack is coming from the bolt/blade junction point and the nuts are secure. The Jumper looks solid. I will take a few pics of that as well
Thanks again Papper

/ Bush Hog Blades
Thanks Steave,
The slack does not cause any potential to hit anything and the nuts are definitely secure. I would like to run the season and then try to disassemble them in the fall. Problem is I dont know what make so I dont know what bolts and blades to purchase.
See below.

/ Bush Hog Blades
The do not David. I will try to take a short clip of the slack.

Thanks

/ Bush Hog Blades #9  
1.5" at the tip of a a blade on a 5' mower....that's just fine. Sounds about like a new blade/bolt combo it you ask me.

Nothing at all to worry about. The blades aren't supposed to be "tight" like a lawnmower

/ Bush Hog Blades
wish I had an Owners Manual Pappy,
See above. I think you are correct and I hope to get the season out of this set up safely and tackle the bolts and blades in the fall. From what I read, I am going to have to get some heavy tools to get those babies off.
Video of the slack coming today.

Thanks Papper.