Rotary Cutter Bush Hog Gear Box Leaking

/ Bush Hog Gear Box Leaking #11  
I had to change the seals in mine right after I bought it. and OH Heck it was hard ,finally had to go to the dealer and ask how to get it apart ,it is a Bush Hog 105, tapered shaft. dealer service guy told me to loosen nut a few turn but leave nut on to protect the threads then set deck over something solid so nut is resting on solid (a couple cap blocks) ,then go through top hole for blade removal . place something solid (old sledge hammer head no handle) on blade bar, and smack her a few good licks with a sledge hammer..//came right off on the 6th hit ,, seals where cheap everything is great now..little cedar trees dont like me now :)

/ Bush Hog Gear Box Leaking #12  
Snapper makes some 00 grease (Zero-Zero) that works good for me. Mine is a Bush Hog 48" cut.

/ Bush Hog Gear Box Leaking #13  
Regardless of which seal is leaking, the critical part here is how much (if any) lateral movement is there in the shaft that seal rides on. If you can feel it move side to side when force is applied, you're looking at more problems down the road if you don't address that. Adding grease to thicken the pudding won't hurt anything, been done many many times. Point is, if you have bearings and shafts running loose, then grease is only a band aid. It won't solve your problem, merely prolong what's coming.

/ Bush Hog Gear Box Leaking #14  
I replaced the bottom seal on one a few years ago. I am NOT a great mechanic. I was prepared for an ordeal but the thing came apart easily, the new seal went in like a breeze , and it hasn't lost a drop since. Think I was lucky.

/ Bush Hog Gear Box Leaking #15  
15 year old thread;)

/ Bush Hog Gear Box Leaking #17  
Establish that you have a case vent and that it is open.

Could be a piece of string in in. Reach up there and see.

If you run grease, mix the grease with gear oil. Actually put both in a container and stir the two together to mix them. If you just pump grease in the box, it will never mix. Ive had gearboxes you couldn't keep lube in. Mixed oil into grease, it stayed fine then.

/ Bush Hog Gear Box Leaking #18  
Establish that you have a case vent and that it is open.

Could be a piece of string in in. Reach up there and see.

If you run grease, mix the grease with gear oil. Actually put both in a container and stir the two together to mix them. If you just pump grease in the box, it will never mix. Ive had gearboxes you couldn't keep lube in. Mixed oil into grease, it stayed fine then.

Experience with JD 127 Gyramor: #2 grease + gear oil leaked out; #1 or 0 grease stayed in. No problem for years of hard use adding an ounce or so each year.

/ Bush Hog Gear Box Leaking #19  
I've had two that I ran straight grease in, as it warms up it gets everyplace and has no problem at all keeping everything lubed.

I never lost a bearing or had any problems from doing this.

SR

/ Bush Hog Gear Box Leaking #20  
I've had two that I ran straight grease in, as it warms up it gets everyplace and has no problem at all keeping everything lubed.

I never lost a bearing or had any problems from doing this.

SR
I find that #2 is ok when the bushog is used in shock producing situations often. Too much smooth running is not optimum as the grease stays pushed away from gears and bearings. I like #1 or 0 which almost flows. TSC economy grease is ~ #1.5 -- its seems to work well. Convenient.