Rotary Cutter Bush Hog Gear Box Leaking

/ Bush Hog Gear Box Leaking #21  
AND rotary cutter gear boxes are still leaking!

SR
And 99% of everything that was relevant on this forum 15 years ago is still relevant today. Whats your point?

I was just reminding everyone that the thread is 15 years old......so if someone is looking for an update, or hoping to see a response from someone that posted 15 years ago and has been absent for the last decade.....dont get your hopes up.

There are also dozens of threads on the topic that would all be more recent than this one.

/ Bush Hog Gear Box Leaking #22  
Experience with JD 127 Gyramor: #2 grease + gear oil leaked out; #1 or 0 grease stayed in. No problem for years of hard use adding an ounce or so each year.
Did you mix the gear oil and grease in some type of bowl before you put it in gearbox? Because if you didn't, gear oil would still leak out. If you have sealed bearings it may be a maybe. But open bearings I want it to flow a little and get in those bearings. I dont know how much you use one. I sometimes use one two weeks, all day everyday. Done a pipeline or power line now and then too. Just imagine, get a call and this dude done got a contract cleaning a pipeline from Texas to Mississippi, across the "L" part of Louisiana. Jungles are in North America.

/ Bush Hog Gear Box Leaking #23  
Did you mix the gear oil and grease in some type of bowl before you put it in gearbox? Because if you didn't, gear oil would still leak out. If you have sealed bearings it may be a maybe. But open bearings I want it to flow a little and get in those bearings. I dont know how much you use one. I sometimes use one two weeks, all day everyday. Done a pipeline or power line now and then too. Just imagine, get a call and this dude done got a contract cleaning a pipeline from Texas to Mississippi, across the "L" part of Louisiana. Jungles are in North America.
No, I put some gear oil into the RC gearbox that had #2 already in it and immediately ran the cutter in normal use. After an hour or so everything was gone. I have used only straight greases since w/no problem.

/ Bush Hog Gear Box Leaking #24  
No, I put some gear oil into the RC gearbox that had #2 already in it and immediately ran the cutter in normal use. After an hour or so everything was gone. I have used only straight greases since w/no problem.
Even the grease you pumped in was gone? I mean grease pumped in first time?

/ Bush Hog Gear Box Leaking #26  
And 99% of everything that was relevant on this forum 15 years ago is still relevant today. Whats your point?
MY point is the same as your point, who cares how old it is, it's all still relevant!

SR

/ Bush Hog Gear Box Leaking #27  
I find that #2 is ok when the bushog is used in shock producing situations often. Too much smooth running is not optimum as the grease stays pushed away from gears and bearings. I like #1 or 0 which almost flows. TSC economy grease is ~ #1.5 -- its seems to work well. Convenient.
I do hours and hours of fields just like this,

Resized-20220812-132612-S.jpg

for days on end, never a problem with lack of lubrication.

SR

/ Bush Hog Gear Box Leaking #28  
MY point is the same as your point, who cares how old it is, it's all still relevant!

SR
Not sure why you want to turn this into a debate.

I never said it wasnt relevant.

And I dont have any issues reviving old threads.....especially if someone has a specific question directly tied to said thread.

This wasnt the case here.....there was no question for clarification from one of the original posters of this thread.

I was just throwing out a reminder of the age of this thread, incase someone was thinking they were gonna get a response from one of the original posters.....some of which havent been active here for a decade or more

/ Bush Hog Gear Box Leaking #29  
Even the grease you pumped in was gone? I mean grease pumped in first time?
Yes. It was still residual oily/greasy but no reserve bulk. Maybe I added too much oil, but I tried to err on the low side. Maybe the grease thickener was incompatible with the gear oil. :unsure:

/ Bush Hog Gear Box Leaking #30  
I do hours and hours of fields just like this,

Resized-20220812-132612-S.jpg

for days on end, never a problem with lack of lubrication.

SR
From sound only, I perceived less than optimum gearbox lubrication with #2 after prolonged smooth usage. Chop a few trees with it or hit a couple cinder blocks and its all better for awhile. The JD127 has no stump jumper so, driven by 45ptoHP, it really shakes when it hits substantial objects. I never noticed any sound from the gearbox on #2 until it accomplished all the rough stuff and became mostly a grass mower, mainly on a smaller tractor.