Rotary Cutter Bush Hog Gear Box Leaking

/ Bush Hog Gear Box Leaking #31  
Yes. It was still residual oily/greasy but no reserve bulk. Maybe I added too much oil, but I tried to err on the low side. Maybe the grease thickener was incompatible with the gear oil. :unsure:
Yes, but did you mix the two together before it went in gearbox?

/ Bush Hog Gear Box Leaking #32  
   / Bush Hog Gear Box Leaking #33  
Sawer Rob, Off topic some, but, how do you keep your cutter from digging in during frontward pulls? I have a Woods BB60 and unless I drive in reverse it will surely dig in on one side or the other and leave a gouge in my clay soil?

I need to "constantly" watch the front edges and make adjustments if going forwards! It's easiest to just drive backwards - although very hard on the neck!!
Your ground does look flat and mine has nooks-n-crannies but I wonder if there is some trick that I haven't yet discovered. Thanks Greg

referring to your post#27

/ Bush Hog Gear Box Leaking #34  
Sawer Rob, Off topic some, but, how do you keep your cutter from digging in during frontward pulls? I have a Woods BB60 and unless I drive in reverse it will surely dig in on one side or the other and leave a gouge in my clay soil?
Position control on the 3 point, I set it so the front of the cutter is a couple/three inches off the ground.

SR

/ Bush Hog Gear Box Leaking #35  

I need to "constantly" watch the front edges and make adjustments if going forwards! It's easiest to just drive backwards - although very hard on the neck!!
Your ground does look flat and mine has nooks-n-crannies but I wonder if there is some trick that I haven't yet discovered. Thanks Greg

referring to your post#27
Is your TYM rear wheel stance narrow in comparison to the width of the bushog? That accentuates l/r leans.

/ Bush Hog Gear Box Leaking #37  
Im not sure what question remains unanswered in the posts. There was only a little grease - oil patina left coating the inside of the gearbox as in post 29.

/ Bush Hog Gear Box Leaking #38  
FYI: IMA, the first thing to check on a leaking gearbox is that the gearbox breather can actually breath and isn’t plugged. Especially if it weeps on sunny days.

/ Bush Hog Gear Box Leaking #39  
Is your TYM rear wheel stance narrow in comparison to the width of the bushog? That accentuates l/r leans.
Spyderlk, Not really, my BB60 is about 1-2" wider than my rear wheels and it will gouge (rather than slide on top of) the ground even if I'm going straight. I need to be "constantly" keeping eyes on it to not have it snag a chunk of ground. However if I cut going backwards it does just fine. Yet that's real tough on my neck!
I try to keep the front of the cutter about 1-2" above the ground when going forwards but - go through a dip in the ground - and it "always" snags the ground rather than skim on top. I just wondered if I was doing something wrong whilst operating it? The manual doesn't cover operating much. Thanks

/ Bush Hog Gear Box Leaking #40  
I try to keep the front of the cutter about 1-2" above the ground when going forwards but - go through a dip in the ground - and it "always" snags the ground rather than skim on top. I just wondered if I was doing something wrong whilst operating it?
IF you have the cutter leveled side to side, and the front is a couple inches off the ground, and you expect it to "never" scrape the ground, then you are using the wrong cutter.

It's a "field" mower, not a "lawn" mower with anti scalp wheels on it!

SR