Bush Hog light duty or Titan light duty

/ Bush Hog light duty or Titan light duty #11  
I would lean towards the Bush Hog.

If I designed them, I would offer a slip clutch with a built in shear pin. Slip clutches do freeze up.

/ Bush Hog light duty or Titan light duty
Can you get a bushhog with a shear pin?

I've never had any issues with a clutch....as long as you use them and adjust them yearly
The old mower we have was purchased back in the seventies. Over the years it has been used hard and abused yearly. About every ten years one of us would 'smoke' the clutch. Mom bought a pipe wrench that is about 30" long for us to use tightening the nuts on the clutch. It always happened when we were mowing at the farm that was ten road miles from the shop. So I got to change the clutch in the middle of a field on a 90+ degree day. Or it seemed that was the case.

RSKY

/ Bush Hog light duty or Titan light duty #13  
I assume both mowers are the same width? If so compare their weight. That gives an indication on how light duty they are.

My 7’ Frontier mower is “light” (but uses its length and leverage to somehow feel heavy, 1000lbs).
I tend to use it as heavy duty, backing into hedge rows, bushes and other places “blindly” (even knowing better). That’s just the nature of my property. In my case, turning on uneven ground can catch an edge, or backing into a sapling or rock will fold the skirt edge into the blade. Makes one heck of a racket. Then comes the routine of chains and a come-along and parking between two trees to try and pull it back out.
Catching stumps have ripped off the bars that hold the chain guards at both the front and back. Going through ditches (and not enough or right flex?) somehow bent the 3 point hitch brackets. I should of bought smaller and heavier duty.
….but it’s perfect when I’m mowing the neighbors field that as smooth as a lawn. It really covers some ground.

It all depends on what you plan to do with it and the conditions/terrain it’ll encounter.

Edit: Surprised, but a Titan 1205 (60”) weighs 596 lbs and has a 11 gauge steel deck, whereas a Bush Hog BH115 (56”) is 500 lbs and has a 12 gauge steel deck.
Slip clutch is good if it gets “used”, as you don’t have to replace a shear bolt every time you hit something. They’re a pain in that you have to loosen and tighten them after the mower has sat around to make sure they didn’t rust together and still work.

Last edited:
   / Bush Hog light duty or Titan light duty #14  
I found the Titan mower to not be as durable as others I have owned. It looked great and the price was good but it started bending on day one.

/ Bush Hog light duty or Titan light duty #15  
Titan is junk made in china. Bush hog likely has a usa fabricated deck and a chinese gearbox.

Bush hog.

/ Bush Hog light duty or Titan light duty #17  
Pretty sure he's not considering that Titan, but this one: Equipment | Titan Implement, LLC
I looked over their website and I'm inclined to believe it's chinese made stuff. They use phrases like "American company" and they give you phone numbers for engineering, which leads me to believe that it's another "engineered in the usa" but made in china company.

I see nothing indicating usa made. I've had a catalog for a year or so and I visited a dealership to get it. My gut has always said "Chinese" and nothing has ever said "made in the usa" to counter my gut feeling. The catalog says we have so many years of manufacturing experience...but no facility listed....

It's all chinese.

And to top it off, their prices really aren't all that great. Lowery Manufacturing has better prices and they are close to me, as well as another Alabama outfit that I bought pallet forks from. Maybe Lowery is Chinese too, but I think it's all made in Boaz Al.

Last edited:
   / Bush Hog light duty or Titan light duty #18  
I looked over their website and I'm inclined to believe it's chinese made stuff. They use phrases like "American company" and they give you phone numbers for engineering, which leads me to believe that it's another "engineered in the usa" but made in china company.

I see nothing indicating usa made. I've had a catalog for a year or so and I visited a dealership to get it. My gut has always said "Chinese" and nothing has ever said "made in the usa" to counter my gut feeling. The catalog says we have so many years of manufacturing experience...but no facility listed....

It's all chinese.
I looked at the website as well and it looked the same to me. I have some Chinese Titan to judge by So I should know. Not that I would buy any more since I am aware.

/ Bush Hog light duty or Titan light duty #19  
From Lowery Manufacturing:

SmartSelect_20210623-215142_Chrome.jpg

This is the kind of stuff you see on websites if it's made here.

/ Bush Hog light duty or Titan light duty #20  

It's all chinese.

And to top it off, their prices really aren't all that great. Lowery Manufacturing has better prices and they are close to me, as well as another Alabama outfit that I bought pallet forks from. Maybe Lowery is Chinese too, but I think it's all made in Boaz Al.
My understanding is that it's a mix. Many items are made here in the US, but they might use outsourced parts, and there are items, like the flail mower, that are from China or India, but the consumables, spare parts, and support are all provided by Titan. Pretty typical US company and a far cry from the other Titan. (not trying to sell Titan, don't care what you buy and I don't own any Titan implements)

And, they are hiring for manufacturing.. Careers | Titan Implement, LLC