Bush hog maintenance

/ Bush hog maintenance #12  
Sharp blades cut more efficiently, and will produce a better looking cut. But, I leave mine dull for cutting brush/weeds/grass fields so the brush and trees are shattered rather than cut clean. That leaves 'dull' stumps rather than a field full of punji sticks to puncture tires. If/when I cut more often and won't have larger brush and trees, I'll probably keep my blades in a little better shape than I do now.

/ Bush hog maintenance #13  
How sharp should bush hog blade be?

I can run my finger down the edge and it doesn't cut me. It's not a knife edge. The sharper the edge, the more frequently you'll be under it sharpening the blades. And replacing the blades.

You choice of edge finish is dependent on your use of the mower. If all you do is cut grass and a few twigs, go sharper.

/ Bush hog maintenance #14  

They shouldn't be super sharp, that actually weakens the edge and allows it to chip when it hits a rock, a post, etc. Using an angle grinder with a flap wheel is usually sufficient if the blade isn't too bad. Usually no need to remove the blades, just secure the unit on blocks or stands and crawl underneath it. A bench grinder should be used for more damaged blades, obviously you'll have to remove them. Youtube has lots of videos, most brush hogs are similar so the concept will work on most. Be aware that you may need to balance them if you take too much off of one and not the other. Unbalanced blades can damage your gearbox at minimum, or even tear up your mower and kill you or your livestock or other bystanders.

/ Bush hog maintenance #15  
if you decide to block the bh, i'd go w/6x6 or larger timber blocks as previously stated. personally i stay away from cinder blocks that can fail, or don't like jack stands that can be unstable esp in soft ground good luck....assume you have impact wrench for blade removal.

/ Bush hog maintenance #16  

Blunt, you want to pulverize stuff not clean cut it.

As a previous poster said, I had a barbed wire episode too, I blocked it off in the field, told the wife to look the other way, and crawled under it.

And I was still not comfy.

/ Bush hog maintenance #17  
... As a previous poster said, I had a barbed wire episode too, I blocked it off in the field, told the wife to look the other way, and crawled under it.

And I was still not comfy.

I think I was the barbed wire guy you mention. I took the unit back to the shop. To get the wire out, I had to disassemble the blade from the stump jumper pan. That took a bit of effort without an impact wrench. I got it off, touched up the blades on the bench grinder, leaving a blunt edge as you mentioned so it would continue to pulverize rather than clean cut, and then put it all back. An entire afternoon killed fixing the hog once I had all the tools I needed.

/ Bush hog maintenance
Thanks guys, makes sense to keep it dulllish. On my own Kubota MMM I sharpen blades once a year, never had problems with it since i dont live on a golf course :)

/ Bush hog maintenance #19  

If I am just cutting grass and weeds in a "clean" field (no rocks or other junk to hit) I keep them as sharp as I can because they cut cleaner and faster. Cutting in a rough field or heavy brush I just make sure the front of the blade is a little sharper than the back.